Caramel Frosted Chocolate Chip Butterscotch Bars
Butterscotch Bars filled with chocolate chips and iced with a caramel buttercream!
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 30 bars 1x
- Category: Dessert, Bar Cookies
- Method: Mixing, Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups firmly brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups chocolate chips or chunks
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups firmly packed golden brown sugar.
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350º. Line a half-sheet pan (13×18 inches) with non-stick foil or grease regular foil with butter or cooking spray.
- Using an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and brown sugar on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla and continue beating for another minute.
- In a bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt. Beat the flour mixture into the batter mixture on low speed until incorporated. Stir in the chocolate chips. Pour into the prepared pan, smoothing the top. Bake until the bars are set and slightly puffed, about 25 to 30 minutes. Cool completely before icing.
- When brownies are cool, spread icing evenly over the top. Let them sit for about 30 minutes to allow the icing to firm up before cutting into squares. Makes 30.
- Icing: In a saucepan set over medium heat, melt 1 cup butter with 2 cups firmly packed golden brown sugar. Once the mixture is lightly bubbling, decrease the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 more minutes; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat 4 cups powdered sugar, 1/3 cup half-and-half and 1 tablespoon vanilla on medium speed until creamy, about 1 minute. Add the melted butter mixture and beat until combined.
Recipe adapted from Pastry Queen Parties
If you don’t own a half-sheet pan, you can bake the brownies in a 9 x 13-inch pan. Adjust the baking time and watch them carefully. You may have too much icing.