Caramel Butter Bars
These crazy delicious Caramel Butter Bars are a heavenly treat that is a cinch to make! You MUST think up an excuse to bake up a batch!
Layered with streusel and caramel over a shortbread crust, these Caramel Bars will thrill the caramel lovers in your life. And they may convert some who aren’t!
Why You Must Make
- If you love caramel desserts as much as I do, please make this caramel dessert ASAP.
- One easy dough is used for both the crust and crumble topping.
- And a half cup of storebought caramel sauce is nestled between those two layers.
Seriously, I could not stop snacking on them!! These caramel butter bars are phenomenal, trust me.With such simple ingredients, it’s important to use a good quality caramel sauce. Look for real ingredients like sugar, cream, and butter on the label. Prepare to be dazzled!
These caramel cookie bars are about the simplest dessert recipe you can make. If you love caramel, these caramel butter bars are a must-make!
- The same dough is used to make the crust and to crumble over the caramel. Easy peasy. These gems can be made using just one bowl!
- PRO-Tip: If you really want to be precise, you can weigh out the dough so it can be accurately divided into one-third for the crust and 2/3 for the topping, but I just estimated.
- Line your baking pan with non-stick foil so the edges of the bars don’t adhere to the sides of the pan due to the sticky caramel sauce.
- And with a yummy jarred caramel sauce as the filling, there is no messing with a candy thermometer or unwrapping squares of premade caramels. You definitely don’t have to hunt down a specialty caramel sauce. But I do recommend using a premium brand for the best results.
- PRO-Tip: To find a premium brand of caramel, check the ingredients on the label for butter, cream, and vanilla. You want real ingredients for the best caramel flavor!
- Try Salted Caramel Sauce to shake things up. Or just mix some sea salt into your regular caramel sauce to taste.
Everyone needs a recipe that doesn’t take oodles of time or numerous ingredients to throw together. These will thrill any caramel fans in your family…heck, they will thrill anyone you know with a sweet tooth!
How to Make
- Soften the butter at room temperature to make for easier mixing of the dough that’s used for the crust and crumbs.
- Mix the topping ingredients with a hand mixer until well combined.
- Pat 1/3 of the dough into the prepared baking pan. Bake the crust and chill the rest of the crumb mixture while the crust is in the oven.
- Pour the caramel sauce over the warm baked crust. The heat of the crust will help make it easier to spread the caramel over the crust.
- PRO-Tip: Spray your liquid measuring cup with a non-stick cooking spray like Pam before measuring the caramel. It will slide out easily when you pour it over the bars.
- Then Crumble the rest of the mixture over the top of the caramel. PRO-Tip: Use your fingers to pinch together the dough to make some larger crumbs, if you’d like.
- Put the pan back in the oven and Bake as directed, until the filling is bubbly.
- Cool well before slicing into bars.
Frequently Asked Questions
These caramel butter bars can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Any longer, or if it’s warm in your kitchen, these bars can be refrigerated for about a week.
Yes, these bar cookies freeze well. Make sure they are cool, place in an airtight container with parchment or waxed paper between layers. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Chill them first. Then place them on a cutting board, using a ruler if necessary, and slice into nice squares. Serve at room temperature.
The ruler is helpful to mark off 2-inch intervals on all 4 sides of the bars before slicing. You can also use the ruler to help guide you in cutting straight lines if eyeballing isn’t your strong suit.
You May Also Like
- Caramel Apple Magic Bars from Brown Eyed Baker
- Homemade Caramels
- Cookie Dough Billionaire Bars
- Chocolate Chip Caramel Butter Bars
- Caramel Chocolate Brownies
- Microwave Caramel Sauce.
- More of my Best Bar Cookies
Caramel Butter Bars Recipe
Simple flavors with delicious results! Perfect for caramel fans!
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
For the Filling:
- ½ cup premium jarred caramel sauce
- Preheat oven to 325°
- In a large bowl, combine the butter and sugars. Using a hand mixer, beat butter and sugars till creamy. Add the vanilla and beat until combined. Add the flour to the butter mixture and mix on low till well combined.
- Line an 8 x 8-inch pan with non-stick foil (or regular foil, then spray with cooking spray). Press one-third of the dough evenly into the pan to form a bottom crust. Put the rest of the dough in the refrigerator while the crust is baking.
- Bake crust until slightly golden, about 20 minutes.
- Drizzle the caramel sauce over the crust and let sit for a few minutes before using an offset spatula to carefully spread it over the surface.
- Crumble the reserved dough over the caramel.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake until the filling is bubbly and the crumbled shortbread topping is firm and lightly golden about 25 minutes.
- Let cool before cutting into squares. Place in the refrigerator to speed up the cooling process if desired.
Spray your liquid measuring cup with a non-stick cooking spray like Pam before measuring the caramel.
Use your fingers to pinch together the dough to make some larger crumbs for the topping.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 bar
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 227Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 127mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 0gSugar: 17gProtein: 2g
96 Comments on “Caramel Butter Bars”
Omg these sound amazing! Adding some toasted pecans chopped on top of caramel layer before adding crumbled topping
Great idea, Rebecca! Hope you enjoy these cookie bars!!!
Do you have low carb and low sugar recipes. Some do not like a lot of bad sugar in their body.
Hi, Sandy, Sorry, none of my desserts are low carb or low sugar, but I do have entrees and side dishes that are healthier. I practice moderation so eat relatively healthy then have a cookie or small portion of dessert.
Made these bars and they are delicious.
Didn’t have any caramel sauce so I made my own.
I bet they were even yummier with homemade caramel sauce. Thanks for reporting back, Bob!
Just made these by substituting the spread with caramel square candies and it was delicious. Great recipe and super easy to make!
Great idea, Krissy! So glad you are enjoying these!
These wouldn’t be around long enough to freeze and I love how quickly they come together.
Buttery shortbread base plus caramel? I definitely don’t need an excuse to make this! This looks and sounds truly irresistible. Now, as a huge dulce de leche fan, I’m thinking to use this spread instead. Plus, some pecans or walnuts on top. Or simply dark chocolate drizzle. But with or without nuts, this is already an utterly delicious dessert!
Woo hoo, Liz! The bars look scrumptious! I’d take caramel over chocolate any day! And the streusel topping is perfect for them! Yummy!!!
Hi Liz, I really want to make these but can I also put a layer of diced apples in with the caramel sauce? I’ve got both left over and I was wondering if it would work.
Hi, Mrs. Key, I think if you sauteed the apples first it would work. I’m not sure they’d get cooked through otherwise, plus the extra liquid from uncooked apples could make the bars soggy. Maybe put on half the bars to see if it works? That’s a good way to experiment! Let me know how it goes!
You know my love of caramel so these will definitely be bookmarked for when we can entertain again. I’ve never bought caramel before so those are excellent tips, thank you.
So good and easy. What about dulce de leche as a filling? LOVE!
I have everything I need except the caramel. Making these as soon as I can get to the store!