Easy Caramel Brownies
I think most of us have tasted those incredibly decadent caramel brownies made from a box of German chocolate cake mix, a bag of caramels and chopped nuts. I was visiting a college friend in Chicago when I was first served one of these heavenly bars. Then via marriage I was immersed into a nut free zone…and though, not forgotten, I stopped making these.
Homemade Caramel Brownies from Scratch
Just last week, I was visiting Tracey’s Culinary Adventures and saw a vaguely familiar recipe. It was my favorite caramel brownies (hooray!), sans nuts (hooray!), made with homemade brownies vs. a cake mix (hip, hip hooray!). Copied, caramels purchased…and a I was ready to go! These got rave reviews all around. Even the hubby, who’s not as enamored with caramel as I am, offered high praise.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 14 ounce bag of caramels, unwrapped
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line 9 x 13 pan with non-stick foil or regular foil sprayed with cooking spray.
- Melt butter and chocolate in a microwave safe bowl, using 30 second increments, stirring each time till smooth. Add sugar, eggs and vanilla and whisk till well incorporated. Stir in flour and salt.
- Spread half the batter over bottom of prepared pan. Bake for 20 minutes and allow to cool for 20 minutes.
- Melt caramels and cream in a microwave safe bowl, using 30 second increments, checking and stirring each time till smooth. While still warm, pour caramel over the top of the brownies and spread to cover. If caramel has cooled, gently reheat in the microwave. Top with remaining brownie batter by dropping tablespoons of batter across the caramel, then spread to edges. If batter has become stiff, gently reheat in microwave. Sprinkle top of brownies with chocolate chips and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely, then use foil to remove brownies from pan. Cut and serve.