Candy Corn Cupcakes for Halloween
These cupcakes are dressed up like candy corn for the perfect Halloween treat!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 22 minutes
- Total Time: 52 minutes
- Yield: 12-18 1x
- Category: Dessert, Cupcakes, Holiday
- Method: Mixing, Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1 box white cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup milk
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- Orange food coloring or gel (I used Wilton food coloring gel)
- Yellow food coloring or gel
- 2 sticks or 8 ounces butter at room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2+ tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon double strength vanilla (or 1 teaspoon regular strength vanilla)
- Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350º.
- Mix box cake mix with eggs, sour cream, milk and oil till combined. Scrape sides and mix on medium-high for 3 minutes or till very smooth.
- Divide batter evenly between two bowls.
- Add orange food coloring (or a combination of red and yellow to make orange) to one of the bowls and stir and add more food coloring till it’s a nice deep orange color. Add yellow food coloring to the second bowl of batter.
- Put a tablespoon or so of yellow batter into each cupcake liner making sure it’s evenly distributed. Repeat with orange batter making sure it covers the yellow batter.
- Bake cupcakes for 20-25 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- To make the frosting, beat butter with 1 cup of the powdered sugar till well mixed. Add the rest of the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla and mix till creamy.
- Pipe frosting on top of cupcakes and top with either candy corn or candy pumpkins.
I used Wilton cupcake liners which allowed me to fill each with 3 tablespoons of batter for 12 cupcakes. If you use standard sized cupcake liners, you may get closer to 18 cupcakes.