Candy Bar Cheesecake
Candy Bar Cheesecake is the ultimate dessert mashup! When you can’t decide between a slice of rich chocolate cake or milk chocolate cheesecake, make this chocolate cheesecake-filled layer cake recipe!
Why You’ll Love this Candy Bar Cheesecake
I first made this rich, unforgettable candy bar cheesecake recipe years ago. Served at The Cheesecake Factory, it was dubbed “candy bar” due to the use of Hershey’s milk chocolate in the cheesecake filling. This Cheesecake Factory Red Velvet Cheesecake looks extraordinary, too. I think they’re onto something!
The thought of filling a classic iced chocolate cake with a chocolate cheesecake literally made my mouth water. A gargantuan dessert like this would take my family 2 weeks to finish, but I got a chance to remake it last weekend. Invited to a dinner party with some of my dearest friends, I volunteered to bring a dessert. Natch.
Marriage of Two Chocolate Desserts
These friends are used to the shenanigans that come with a “blogger’s” dessert. Like slices cut out and reinserted. Thankfully, they’re always willing to be my guinea pigs. Plus, I get some honest reviews.
Served at room temperature, this cake is moist and tender, the icing creamy and fudgy, and the chocolate cheesecake filling is amazing. I don’t think I’ve ever had such rave reviews from one of my desserts. A hit across the board.
Our host squirreled away an extra slice that his wife found in the fridge the next day! One fellow swore he couldn’t eat another bite, but after about an hour of us gabbing around a roaring fire, I noticed his plate was empty. Another gal, who usually doesn’t indulge, ate a full slice. She thought the filling was a luscious ganache, but her cheesecake-loving husband set her straight.
I had just enough leftovers to bring a couple of slices home, and Bill has savored every bite of the remainders. So if you need a showstopper for any party, make this exquisite Hershey’s Candy Bar Cheesecake at home!
Tips for Making This Candy Bar Cheesecake Ahead of Time
- When time is tight and you are planning to have company for dinner, a few make-ahead recipes are incredibly helpful. Luckily, all three layers of this candy bar cheesecake can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for a day or two or in the freezer for a couple of weeks.
- To freeze, the cake layers should be removed from the pans and each wrapped in plastic, then foil. For the cheesecake, let it cool to room temperature, then wrap the whole pan in foil and freeze.
- The layers should be defrosted in the refrigerator overnight before assembling. Just make the icing, frost, and it’s ready to go!
More Cheesecake Recipes You’ll Love:
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake from Brown Eyed Baker
- Pressure Cooker Black Forest Cheesecake from Pressure Cooking Today
- Baileys Chocolate Cheesecake from Dinners Dishes and Desserts
- Homemade Caramel Cheesecake
- Chocolate Caramel Twix Cheesecake
- Homemade Caramel Cheesecake
- More of the Best Cheesecake Recipes
Candy Bar Cheesecake
Candy Bar Cheesecake is the ultimate dessert mashup! For a marriage of two chocolate desserts, make this chocolate cheesecake filled layer cake recipe!Adapted from Recipe Secrets
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 ounces chopped milk chocolate, melted
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 2/3 cup cocoa
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups Milk Chocolate Chips
To prepare the cheesecake:
- Preheat oven to 325º.
- Line a 10-inch round baking pan or 10-inch springform pan with non-stick aluminum foil or plain foil. Let the edges of foil extend over the sides of the pan and then spray the foil with non-stick cooking spray if not using non-stick.
- In your stand mixer fit with the paddle attachment, beat cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla extract at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy and smooth.
- Mix in eggs, one at a time. Blend just until eggs are incorporated.
- Stir in sour cream and melted chocolate.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the top just starts to turn golden.
- Let the cheesecake cool completely in its pan on a wire rack then cover and chill for 4 hours.
- To prepare the chocolate cake:
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Grease and flour two 10-inch round baking pans. Line bottoms with parchment rounds and grease.
- Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
To prepare the chocolate frosting:
- Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add a small amount of additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla.
- To assemble: Spread a layer of frosting on top of one chocolate cake.
- Using edges of foil as handles, remove cheesecake from pan and peel away foil.
- Carefully layer the cheesecake on top of the frosted cake. If the cheesecake becomes hard to work with, you can place it in the freezer for 20-30 minutes.
- Spread some chocolate frosting on top of the cheesecake layer.
- Place second chocolate cake on top and ice with frosting on top and on all sides. Decorate the sides of the cake with chocolate chips.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 831Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 70mgSodium: 414mgCarbohydrates: 146gFiber: 5gSugar: 67gProtein: 16g
Thatskinnychickcanbake.com occasionally offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although thatskinnychickcanbake.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased can change the nutritional information in any given recipe. Also, many recipes on thatskinnychickcanbake.com recommend toppings, which may or may not be listed as optional and nutritional information for these added toppings is not listed. Other factors may change the nutritional information such as when the salt amount is listed “to taste,” it is not calculated into the recipe as the amount will vary. Also, different online calculators can provide different results. To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in any given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe. You are solely responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information obtained is accurate.
25 Comments on “Candy Bar Cheesecake”
I made this last weekend and it was like a dream come true! Chocolate lovers beware it is addicting!
What an amazing dessert! The cheesecake puts this so far over the top! Awesome!
Love how you decorated the cake.
Wow this cake is stunning! I love the very neat frosting 🙂
What a dreamy cheesecake, love the layers!
There isn’t much better than chocolate and cheesecake all in one cake! Amazing!
That’s it. I’m moving next door to you immediately!!! This looks incredible.
Such a beautiful cake. One that my family would devour I’m certain in just 2-4 days. This is a keeper.
Perfect for chocolate lovers – looks stunning.
Wow – this is one gorgeous cake! I won’t rest until I try this one 🙂 Such a fan of chocolate and cheesecake so it’s perfect. Thanks for sharing!
Beautiful Liz! Every layer sounds delish!
definitely another good decadently good dessert!
How decadent and delicious this looks! I love the combination of desserts. Yum!
this sounds heavenly! wished I can comment on FB but still not happening for 4 more days! thanks for this delicious piece of heaven on a plate! merry christmas to you and your family!
What a decadent, unique treat! I can see why it was such a hit.
looks delicious and decadent!
Genius. Decadent. Festive. Perfect holiday make-ahead dessert, Liz.
Hahaha… I love that you talk about slices of cake cut out and then reinserted. I’ve done that soooo many times!!!
Can you please bring this cake to my next party. I’m drooling too!
No doubt it was a huge hit! Beautiful:@)
Lots of chocolate! A spectacular cheesecake, Liz.