Dorie Greenspan’s delightfully delicious Classic Café-Style Grated Carrot Salad is as welcome at a picnic as on a holiday table!
A Carrot Salad Recipe is a tasty change of pace for your summer menu!
Café-Style Grated Carrot Salad
I looked ahead to this week’s assigned French Fridays with Dorie recipe and thought, “Uh oh.” The dreaded cucumbers and zucchini, both of which Bill lumps together into his “those give me a rash” category.
He hasn’t bothered to learn the difference between the two. He just dislikes them both. And I’m not a big fan of fresh mint if it’s the only herb in a recipe. I was ready to forge ahead, but I remembered the Café-Style Grated Carrot Salad I had missed while on vacation. Even though was certain the hubby wouldn’t be fond of the craisin addition, I knew I’d have no difficulty finishing this one off myself.
Easy Carrot Salad Recipe
As one of the simpler recipes we’ve made, I just grated my carrots in the food processor, added some dried cranberries (I much prefer these over the raisins called for in the recipe), and then shook up the vinaigrette ingredients in a small mason jar. The vinaigrette was a wee bit tart, but the craisins balance it with some sweetness.
Dress this Café-Style Grated Carrot Salad lightly as there is enough for couple salads in one batch. This is another superb idea for a picnic as it can sit at room temperature for hours.Print
Cafe-Style Grated Carrot Salad
A classic picnic salad that’s worthy of so many occasions
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Salad, Side Dish
- Method: Grating, Mixing
- Cuisine: American
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and trimmed
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup mild oil, I used Canola
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Dried cranberries or raisins
- Walnuts, coarsely chopped, optional
- Fresh parsley, chopped, optional
- Grate the carrots by hand, using the large holes of a box grater, or by push button, using the grating blade of a food processor. Either way, if the grating causes the carrots to weep, press them between your palms to rid them of excess liquid before you toss them into a serving bowl.
- If you’ve used a processor, make the dressing in it; if not, use a small jar. Put the mustard, honey, vinegar, and oil in the processor or jar, season with salt and pepper, and whir or shake until blended—you’ll have a thick, smooth vinaigrette. (Or whisk the dressing together in a small bowl.)
- Toss the carrots with the currants, and nuts, if you’re using them. Just before serving, pour over the dressing, toss well, and adjust the salt and pepper if needed. If you’re using the parsley, add it.
Recipe Adapted from Around My French Table by Dorie Greenspan
- Calories: 1249kcal
- Sugar: 39g
- Sodium: 1571mg
- Fat: 111g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 64g
- Fiber: 14g
- Protein: 6g
- Cholesterol: 0