Butternut Squash Soup is so good, you’ll even get your hubby to clean his bowl! With autumnal spices, this creamy squash soup will thrill your palate!
Butternut Squash Soup
A few years back, I was in a dinner club with a bunch of fun couples. The host and hostess would plan the menu and send out recipes. One November we had a Great Harvest Feast..and the menu was incredible!
I can’t believe we ate all these courses: Liver Pate, Johnnycakes with Peekytoe Crab, Spinach Salad with Warm Pecan Garlic Vinaigrette, Wild Rice and Pumpkin Pilaf, Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Pecans, White Mountain Duck Breast with Cranberry Sauce, Steamed Cranberry Pudding with Rum Brandy Ice Cream AND this Butternut Squash Soup. It was a major shock when the hubby finished his bowlful…he liked squash?
He ate Butternut Squash Soup ???
That is the ultimate endorsement…or maybe it was the pre-dinner cocktails??? But when I made it again at home, he still enjoyed this butternut squash soup!
How to Make Squash Soup
You could certainly roast a butternut squash or two, sprinkled with salt, pepper and some brown sugar and then blend in your food processor or blender for your own version of butternut squash puree.
Or if you’d like an easy shortcut, you can find this Butternut Squash Puree* at your local Williams-Sonoma. Who doesn’t love a shortcut? Especially around the holidays.
Tweak to spices to please your taste buds. And if you don’t like hazelnuts, add your favorite crunchy garnish!
Things you may need for this recipe:
Butternut Squash Soup
A simple, autumnal spiced squash soup.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Pureeing, Boiling
- Cuisine: American
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 jar (32 ounces) butternut squash puree or make your own*
- 2–3 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup chopped, toasted hazelnuts
- Finely chopped or fried sage leaves, to garnish
- Sour cream or creme fraiche, to garnish
- *I’d roast a couple butternut squash, and when cooked add squash chunks, some brown sugar and extra seasonings to the soup before pureeing.
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and sauté, stirring occasionally, until tender and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add 2 cups stock and the squash puree and bring to a simmer, stirring, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 12 to 15 minutes. Using a blender or stick blender, puree the soup, adding more stock if the soup is too thick. Add the nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon, then season with salt and pepper to taste. Return soup to pot if needed, stir in cream and gently reheat.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top each serving with the sour cream or creme fraiche, sage and hazelnuts if desired.
Recipe from my friend, Barb Taylor