The Best Buttermilk Pancakes with Blueberry Maple Syrup: This is the quintessential pancake recipe replete with real buttermilk. With regular or blueberry maple syrup, you’ll never go back to the box pancake mix!
Buttermilk Pancakes with Blueberry Maple Syrup
I decided to update the photos for this recipe after seeing on TV, maybe on America’s Test Kitchen, that leaving your batter a little lumpy makes for thicker pancakes. Huh? I had to give it a try.
This recipe is from our local Junior League cookbook, Winners. It was brought to my attention when someone on the Internet been told that this recipe was the quintessential pancake recipe, but was unable to find it after an extended search.
I typed it up on the website for the gal who made the inquiry and kept it in the back of my mind for years.
The Best Buttermilk Pancakes Recipe
Then one Sunday morning, the hubby had a moment of panic. NO BISQUICK! He has his weekend routine: oatmeal on Saturday, and French toast, eggs, pancakes or waffles (with bacon) on Sunday.
He had his heart set on pancakes. Well, being the best darn wife in the world (he doesn’t read my blog, but his office does, so he’ll hear my proclamation. Haha.) He’ll never know that making these is a breeze. Shhh, don’t tell.
Today was the day to test it out. Bill had to admit these were better than Bisquick (shocking, no?) though he was a little wary of the blueberry syrup till I told him it was maple syrup based. So if you’re out of pancake mix or just want a super recipe, give this recipe for buttermilk pancakes a try. If you’re looking for a healthier version, these Whole Wheat Pancakes look terrific!
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup blueberries
- Beat eggs slightly and add salt and sugar. Whisk in buttermilk. Add dry ingredients, then stir in butter.
- Heat lightly greased pan or griddle to medium high. Pour out batter (4 inch diameter is recommended), and cook till bubbles appear on surface and start to break. Flip and cook till bottom is golden brown. Serve with blueberry maple syrup or your favorite topping.
To make syrup:
- Mix together blueberries and maple syrup in small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer. Cook for 10-15 minutes, till slightly reduced. May strain out solids if desired.
Pancake recipe adapted from Winners.
Serving Size:2 pancakes
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 481Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 942mgCarbohydrates: 80gFiber: 2gSugar: 43gProtein: 9g