Buttercream Topped Vanilla Cupcakes
Terrific vanilla cupcakes topped with vanilla buttercream frosting.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 23 minutes
- Total Time: 53 minutes
- Yield: 16 regular sized cupcakes 1x
- Category: Dessert, Cupcakes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1 ¾ cups plus 2 tablespoons flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 sticks butter, at room temperature
- 8 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- To make cupcakes, line cupcake tins with 16 paper liners. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350º.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar till light and creamy. Add eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla.
- Starting and ending with dry ingredients, add alternating with milk. Divide in muffin tins and bake for 20-23 minutes or till toothpick inserted in the middle of the cupcake comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
- To make buttercream, beat butter and 4 cups powdered sugar (half the total amount). Add the milk and vanilla and beat to combine. Add the remaining 4 cups of powdered sugar and beat till creamy. Add food coloring if desired. Fill pastry bag and pipe frosting over top of cupcakes. Garnish with candy or sprinkles if desired.
Cupcakes adapted from Ghirardelli; frosting adapted from Magnolia Bakery.