Brown Butter Crêpes with Berries and Cheesecake Filling
These Brown Butter Crêpes with Berry and Cheesecake Filling make a sublime dessert or a most decadent dessert! You decide.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast, Brunch, Dessert
- Method: Mixing, Sauteing
- Cuisine: French, French-American
- 3 1/2 + tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 /2 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk (use more to thin batter if needed)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cups flour
- 4 ounces cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- Ripe berries of your choice
- In a saucepan, cook the butter over medium heat, swirling it every few seconds, until melted and golden brown, 2 to 4 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
- Combine the milk, eggs, and salt in a blender. Blend till mixed, then add the flour and blend until very smooth. Add the brown butter and blend for a few more seconds.
- Allow the batter to rest at least 5 minutes and up to one day (refrigerate if not using immediately).
- Batter should thicken but not be as thick as regular pancake batter. Thin as needed after resting period.
- Heat a crêpe pan or nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Grease with a little butter on a paper towel.
- Pour about 1/4 cup of the batter into the center of the pan while tilting and turning it till a thin circle of batter covers most of the surface of the pan.
- Cook till the edges begin to dry and lift from the sides of the pan and the bottom browns, about 1 minute. Flip using a spatula or your fingers, and cook until the second side is browned, about 20 seconds more.Remove from pan and repeat with the remaining batter, adding more butter as needed.
- To make filling beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, lemon juice, zest and vanilla. In another bowl, whip cream. Carefully mix together.
- Place spoonfuls of filling along center of crepe and arrange berries over cream. Roll up and garnish with berries. Serve immediately.