Black Bottom Chocolate Mousse Pie
A decadent chocolate pie worthy of any celebration!
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert, Pie
- Method: No-Bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1 9-inch pie crust, baked and cooled
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream, divided
- 1 tablespoon Kahlua
- 3 egg whites, at room temperature, I used Safest Choice Pasteurized Eggs (make sure there are no traces of yolk)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 c powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For Chocolate Curls:
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- To make ganache, heat ½ cup whipping cream and butter in the microwave in a medium sized, heat safe bowl till hot (but not boiling). Add chopped chocolate and let rest till melted. Stir to combine, then add vanilla and stir again. Scrape out into prepared pie crust. Place in refrigerator while you make the mousse.
- For the mousse, place the chopped chocolate and ¼ cup of the heavy cream into a large, heat safe bowl and gently heat in microwave till chocolate is very soft. Stir with rubber spatula till smooth. Mix in Kahlua and set aside.
- Place egg whites into the bowl of a stand mixture, and, using the whisk attachment, beat on high till stiff peaks form. If using pasteurized eggs, this could take more than 5 minutes, so be patient. If your whites have any trace of yolk or your bowl has any trace of oil, they won’t whip properly. Transfer whipped egg whites to another bowl if you need to use your mixer to whip the cream.
- Add the remaining ¾ cup cream and sugar to the mixing bowl and whip just till stiff peaks form.
- With a rubber spatula, fold half the whipped cream into the chocolate, then gently add the rest. Fold in the egg whites, till just incorporated, but do not overmix.
- Spoon the mousse over the ganache layer, smooth top and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Before serving, make chocolate curls if desired (see link in post for instructions). Make topping by whipping 1 cup cream with powdered sugar and vanilla to stiff peaks. Pile on top of mousse and garnish with chocolate curls, chocolate shavings or a dusting of cocoa powder.