This jellyroll cake, or roulade, is a sponge rolled around mascarpone cream and fresh berries. Recipe adapted from Dorie Greenspan.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 10 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert, Cake
- Method: Baking, Mixing
- Cuisine: French
For the cake:
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- 6 eggs, separated, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
For the filling:
- 1/2 cup mascarpone
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1-pint blueberries or raspberries, or half of each
- To make the roulade, preheat the oven to 400. Line a 12×17-inch rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour, cornstarch and salt onto a piece of parchment paper.
- Put the egg whites into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Whip the whites until they are just starting to hold their shape. Slowly pour in the sugar and beat on high speed for another couple of minutes till the meringue is very firm.
- Put the yolks in a separate bowl with ½ teaspoon of vanilla and whisk until smooth.
- Whisk about ¼ of the meringue into the yolks. Scrape the yolks onto the meringue and then put the dry ingredients on top of them. Gently fold all of the ingredients together, but do not overmix. Pour the batter onto the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the sponge is puffed and golden. Transfer to a cooling rack.
- Dust a kitchen towel with powdered sugar and invert the cake onto the sugared cloth. Carefully peel away the parchment paper.
- Place the cake so that there is a long side closest to you, and roll the cake up in the towel. Allow to cool.
- Put the mascarpone in a bowl and sift the powdered sugar over it. Gently whisk the two together and then stir in the vanilla.
- Whip the cream in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until it holds firm peaks. Stir a quarter of the cream into the mascarpone to lighten it, then gently fold in the rest.
- To assemble the cake, unroll it. Spread the filling evenly over the cake, leaving an inch perimeter without any topping. Evenly disperse the berries over the filling. Use the towel to help you lift and roll the cake, starting with the long side farthest from you and finishing so that the seam is on the bottom. Trim off both ends with a serrated knife. Refrigerate at least two hours before serving. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before slicing.