Beef Mushroom Soup
A hearty, flavorful beef mushroom soup with barley.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Entree, Beef, Soup
- Method: Saute, Simmer
- Cuisine: American
- 1 ounce dried mushrooms, reconstituted in 1 cup boiling water (reserve both mushrooms and liquid)
- 3 ounces Pancetta, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds cubed stew meat, I recommend chuck
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup quick barley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste if needed
- Drain the mushroom water through a sieve into a bowl and set aside. Chop the reconstituted mushrooms and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large Dutch oven or soup pot. Add the pancetta and cook until lightly browned.
- Add the beef and brown on all sides (may add a bit more olive oil if needed).
- Add the onions, carrots, celery and fresh mushrooms and cook until tender, 5-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, thyme, and tomato paste and cook until garlic is fragrant but not brown
- Add the broths and deglaze the pan by loosening up the brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Add the pancetta, beef, reserved chopped mushrooms, reserved mushroom water, bay leaves, balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and fish sauce and bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook until the beef is tender, about 2-3 hours.
- Add the quick barley about 10 minutes before you’re ready to serve.
- When the barley is cooked remove the bay leaves, taste and season with salt and pepper if needed.