Arugula Salad with Roasted Butternut Squash
A gorgeous salad adapted from Back to Basics by Ina Garten.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Salad, Side Dish
- Method: Roasting
- Cuisine: American
- 1 butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into 3/4 inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/3 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup apple cider
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 4 ounces baby arugula
- 1/2 cup walnuts halves, toasted
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 400º. Place the butternut squash chunks on a sheet pan and toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil, the maple syrup, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Roast the squash for 15 to 20 minutes, turning once, until tender. Add the cranberries to the pan for the last 5 minutes.
- To make dressing, combine the apple cider, vinegar, and shallots in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until the cider is reduced to about 1/4 cup. Remove from the heat and whisk in the mustard, 1/3 cup olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.
- Place the arugula in a large salad bowl and add the roasted squash mixture, the walnuts, and the grated Parmesan. Spoon just enough vinaigrette over the salad to moisten and toss well. Check for seasonings and sprinkle with more salt and pepper if needed.