Caramel Apple Streusel Bars
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 16 bars
For the crust:
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flour
For the filling:
- 2 large baking/pie apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced, about 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- A few grates of fresh nutmeg (a pinch of powered nutmeg may be substituted)
For the topping:
- 1/2 cup) old-fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cut into small cubes
- Homemade of jarred caramel sauce
- Preheat the oven to 300º. Line an 8 x 8 baking pan with non-stick foil (or line with foil and spray with non-stick baking spray).Set aside.
- Stir the melted butter, sugar, vanilla, and salt together in a medium bowl. Add the flour and stir until everything is combined. Press the mixture evenly into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 15 minutes.
- While crust is baking, combine the sliced apples, flour, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg and gently toss to combine. Set aside.
- In another bowl mix the oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and flour together.Cut in the chilled butter with a pastry blender or your hands,until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- Remove the crust from the oven, and increase the oven temperature to 350º. Evenly layer the apples on top of the warm crust (I made 4 rows of overlapping apple slices). Crumble to the streusel topping over the apples. Bake for 30–35 minutes or until the streusel is lightly browned and apples are tender.
- Let cool at room temperature for about a half hour, then chill for 2 hours. Before serving, remove bars from pan using the foil and cut into 16 bars. Drizzle with caramel before serving.