Apple Monkey Bread Crockpot Recipe
Apple Monkey Bread Recipe is a delicious sweet treat, easily made in a slow cooker. This super easy monkey bread recipe uses store-bought biscuits!
This crockpot monkey bread will be the hit of your brunch! And if you have company, it doesn’t take up oven space to bake!
Why You Must Make
- Using canned, grocery store biscuits is so much easier than making this monkey bread from scratch.
- Cooking in a slow cooker makes this a “fix it and forget it” recipe. It’s super easy.
- Adding apple chunks along with cinnamon, elevate this recipe to a new high! And though yummy all year long, the apples and cinnamon make for a perfect autumn treat.
My family goes nuts for monkey bread or bubble rolls as we call them. Who doesn’t love gooey breakfast bread, especially when they’re spiced with cinnamon and studded with diced apples??? And what’s most amazing is that this Apple Monkey Bread is made in a slow cooker or crockpot. Two and a half hours of hands-off cooking. Doesn’t that sound perfect?
These didn’t puff up as much as I expected, but for a minimal-fuss recipe, made with canned biscuits, they are excellent. For all that I bake, I rarely eat more than a nibble. But see that plate in the top photo? That was for quality control and I made every morsel disappear quickly.
- PRO-Tip: If you can’t find the original Pillsbury Biscuits, use Pillsbury Grands instead. Both are available, but if sizes change, go by the ounces instead. Look for about 30 ounces of biscuits.
- I found two packages that totaled approximately 32 ounces. They were Pillsbury Grands. If you find the original biscuits, use 4 packages which total 28 ounces.
- Cut each biscuit into quarters, then gently roll them into balls. If you use the Grands, which are larger, feel free to cut them into more pieces. They didn’t keep perfectly spherical when I tossed them with the sugar mixture, so rolling them is totally optional.
- Tweak the spice mixture as you see fit. I’d definitely keep the amount of cinnamon as is written, but add any of your favorite apple pie spices.
- The lid of the crockpot will collect some condensation. Take care not to let any of the moisture drip onto the rolls when you remove the lid.
- PRO-Tip: You can line the lid with a couple of layers of paper toweling before you start the cooking process to absorb any moisture. It’s also suggested that the monkey bread rest for 10 minutes before serving. At this point, you should add some paper towels between the lid and slow cooker to catch any drips.
- I’ve made monkey bread from scratch and using frozen bread dough. I haven’t tested either of those recipes in the crockpot, but there would most likely be a proofing time added to the baking time.
Frequently Asked Questions
Monkey Bread is a pull-apart loaf formed from rounds of dough coated in butter, sugar, and spices, layered overlapping in a pan, then baked. After baking, the small rolls stick together. Monkey bread can also be savory, made with grated cheese, etc.
Monkey bread is usually made of dough, which can be yeast bread dough or biscuit dough, melted butter, and sugar. Seasonings like cinnamon plus nuts and raisins can also be used.
Also known as bubble bread or bubble rolls, monkey bread is another popular term for these breakfast rolls. The name of this dish comes from the similarity of how monkeys use their opposable thumbs to “pick” at their food and how we eat this bread.
Monkey Bread will keep at room temperature for 2-3 days if wrapped well. After that, it can be stored in the refrigerator for 4 more days. Leftovers can also be wrapped airtight and frozen for up to a month.
No, besides using a slow cooker, you can also use a solid bottom angel food pan (do not use a pan that comes in two pieces or all the melted butter and sugar will seep out the bottom). You can use a couple of loaf pans or a springform pan (wrap the pan in foil to prevent leakage into the oven).
Baking time will need to be adjusted if using 2 smaller pans instead of one.
You May Also Like:
- Crock Pot Cinnamon Roll Casserole from Wishes and Dishes got my wheels turning and I thought a slow cooker breakfast would be a good excuse to dust off my seldom-used kitchen appliance.
- Slow Cooker Brownie Dessert
- Best Fall Crockpot Recipes
- 30+ Slow Cooker Recipes
Apple Monkey Bread Recipe
An easy, hands off monkey bread recipe filled with diced apples.
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- a few grates of fresh nutmeg or a pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 (16 ounce) packages of Pillsbury Grands Southern Homestyle Original Biscuits or 4 (6 ounce) Original Southern Homestyle Biscuits
- 1 1/2 cups diced, peeled cooking apples
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup apple cider
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Spray inside of a 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the sugar mixture in the bottom of the prepared slow cooker. Set the remaining sugar mixture aside.
- Cut each biscuit into quarters or even smaller pieces if you'd like.
- Add biscuits and apples to the sugar mixture in the bowl, tossing to coat.
- Add mixture to slow cooker. Sprinkle with any remaining sugar mixture.
- In a small bowl stir together butter, apple cider, and vanilla; pour over biscuits.
- Cover and cook on the high heat setting for 2 to 2½ hours or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Turn off the slow cooker. Carefully remove the lid so that condensation does not drip onto the bread.
- Cover opening of slow cooker with paper towels and place lid on top. Cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edge of the slow cooker, then move the bread to a serving platter. Spoon any topping from the cooker onto bread; cool slightly. Serve warm.
Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 222Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 170mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 1gSugar: 26gProtein: 1g
75 Comments on “Apple Monkey Bread Crockpot Recipe”
I don’t know if I could sleep with that delicious aroma in the home. What a fantastic idea for around the holidays. I know my boys are going to go nuts over this recipe.
I have never made monkey bread. Your recipe looks so easy, I am so tempted to try.
I can’t believe you can use your crockpot for this! I love monkey bread but it always seems like too much work. Thanks for giving us a great shortcut!
I’ve never made monkey bread but really want to try your recipe! So addicting and absolutely hard to resist 🙂
I can see how these would be hard to resist! And so easy!
Ha love this, and made with cans refrigerated biscuits. We do not have a huge selection here of that stuff, maybe Pillsbury and that is is. But curious to try, especially in a crockpot.
I love that this is made in a crockpot and so easy we are all big fans of these fall flavors !
I dont want to make such a large portion (crazy i know!) Im curious about cutting the recipe in half…has anyone tried that?
Personally, I’ve only made the full batch, but I think it would work fine using half the ingredients. You’ll have a much flatter finished product, but it will still be yummy. I’d check it early to see if it’s done (maybe at the 90 minute mark). Let me know how it goes!
When you say cans of biscuits, do you mean like Pillsbury??
Yes, exactly. The kind you find in the refrigerator section of your grocery store. Have a great weekend!
Love the recipe! Thank so much for send it out again with the top 14. I made the biscuits from scratch too using this recipe
Then followed all the steps in your recipe except I did not cook the apples. It turned out great.
Wow, I bet these rolls were spectacular with homemade biscuits! Thanks so much for reporting back, Ban! Happy New Year!
Has anyone tried to make this overnight? I’d love to try this out for breakfast, but there is no way that I’d be up a few hours before we wanted to eat. But it looks amazing:)
This was delish, but my crockpot was going on 4 hours before I threw everything in the oven to finish it off. I think in the future, it could cook overnight on low and be done when everyone wakes. 🙂
One more for my bucket list. Your sweets just make me drool.
Could this recipe be adapted for the oven? I think I might give it a try. Looks delicous!
Yes, definitely, though it might take more than one pan…there are a LOT of rolls. I’ve seen one using 3 tubes of biscuits that you bake at 350º for about 35 minutes 🙂
Crock pot monkey bread is a neat idea! I bet it smelled amazing those hours it was baking…looks so good. I will make it and hope mine comes out from the pot as nicely as yours did, Lizzy!
I think it’s so cool that you made monkey bread in a crock pot, Liz! If I had the space for it, I’d buy one (along with all the other items on my long list of wanted kitchen items). Apples and carbs are so delicious together, especially when it’s all sugary-cinnamony. Love this!
Monkey bread cooked in a slowcooker? Really? Is that normal? I guess this is the first monkeybread recipe for which I read the instructions. Anyway, it looks awesome! It’s like an upside down apple pie bread pudding. Love it!
Can you believe I’ve never made monkey bread! I know – what the heck is wrong with me??? I’m going to add this to my holiday making goody list.
I should have guess it was you, my dear Liz who came up with this sinfully delicious bread/dessert. Love love it. It’s everywhere on Pinterest. pinning of course.
Whoa! That looks positively sinful! Everybody seems to be just nuts over their slow cookers these days. What a great recipe!
And I am like you, one bite, one taste, and I’m good. 😉