Apple Monkey Bread Crockpot Recipe
Apple Monkey Bread Recipe is a delicious sweet treat, easily made in a slow cooker. This super easy monkey bread recipe uses store-bought biscuits!
This crockpot monkey bread will be the hit of your brunch! And if you have company, it doesn’t take up oven space to bake!
Why You Must Make
- Using canned, grocery store biscuits is so much easier than making this monkey bread from scratch.
- Cooking in a slow cooker makes this a “fix it and forget it” recipe. It’s super easy.
- Adding apple chunks along with cinnamon, elevate this recipe to a new high! And though yummy all year long, the apples and cinnamon make for a perfect autumn treat.
My family goes nuts for monkey bread or bubble rolls as we call them. Who doesn’t love gooey breakfast bread, especially when they’re spiced with cinnamon and studded with diced apples??? And what’s most amazing is that this Apple Monkey Bread is made in a slow cooker or crockpot. Two and a half hours of hands-off cooking. Doesn’t that sound perfect?
These didn’t puff up as much as I expected, but for a minimal-fuss recipe, made with canned biscuits, they are excellent. For all that I bake, I rarely eat more than a nibble. But see that plate in the top photo? That was for quality control and I made every morsel disappear quickly.
- PRO-Tip: If you can’t find the original Pillsbury Biscuits, use Pillsbury Grands instead. Both are available, but if sizes change, go by the ounces instead. Look for about 30 ounces of biscuits.
- I found two packages that totaled approximately 32 ounces. They were Pillsbury Grands. If you find the original biscuits, use 4 packages which total 28 ounces.
- Cut each biscuit into quarters, then gently roll them into balls. If you use the Grands, which are larger, feel free to cut them into more pieces. They didn’t keep perfectly spherical when I tossed them with the sugar mixture, so rolling them is totally optional.
- Tweak the spice mixture as you see fit. I’d definitely keep the amount of cinnamon as is written, but add any of your favorite apple pie spices.
- The lid of the crockpot will collect some condensation. Take care not to let any of the moisture drip onto the rolls when you remove the lid.
- PRO-Tip: You can line the lid with a couple of layers of paper toweling before you start the cooking process to absorb any moisture. It’s also suggested that the monkey bread rest for 10 minutes before serving. At this point, you should add some paper towels between the lid and slow cooker to catch any drips.
- I’ve made monkey bread from scratch and using frozen bread dough. I haven’t tested either of those recipes in the crockpot, but there would most likely be a proofing time added to the baking time.
Frequently Asked Questions
Monkey Bread is a pull-apart loaf formed from rounds of dough coated in butter, sugar, and spices, layered overlapping in a pan, then baked. After baking, the small rolls stick together. Monkey bread can also be savory, made with grated cheese, etc.
Monkey bread is usually made of dough, which can be yeast bread dough or biscuit dough, melted butter, and sugar. Seasonings like cinnamon plus nuts and raisins can also be used.
Also known as bubble bread or bubble rolls, monkey bread is another popular term for these breakfast rolls. The name of this dish comes from the similarity of how monkeys use their opposable thumbs to “pick” at their food and how we eat this bread.
Monkey Bread will keep at room temperature for 2-3 days if wrapped well. After that, it can be stored in the refrigerator for 4 more days. Leftovers can also be wrapped airtight and frozen for up to a month.
No, besides using a slow cooker, you can also use a solid bottom angel food pan (do not use a pan that comes in two pieces or all the melted butter and sugar will seep out the bottom). You can use a couple of loaf pans or a springform pan (wrap the pan in foil to prevent leakage into the oven).
Baking time will need to be adjusted if using 2 smaller pans instead of one.
You May Also Like:
- Crock Pot Cinnamon Roll Casserole from Wishes and Dishes got my wheels turning and I thought a slow cooker breakfast would be a good excuse to dust off my seldom-used kitchen appliance.
- Slow Cooker Brownie Dessert
- Best Fall Crockpot Recipes
- 30+ Slow Cooker Recipes
Apple Monkey Bread Recipe
An easy, hands off monkey bread recipe filled with diced apples.
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- a few grates of fresh nutmeg or a pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 (16 ounce) packages of Pillsbury Grands Southern Homestyle Original Biscuits or 4 (6 ounce) Original Southern Homestyle Biscuits
- 1 1/2 cups diced, peeled cooking apples
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup apple cider
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Spray inside of a 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the sugar mixture in the bottom of the prepared slow cooker. Set the remaining sugar mixture aside.
- Cut each biscuit into quarters or even smaller pieces if you'd like.
- Add biscuits and apples to the sugar mixture in the bowl, tossing to coat.
- Add mixture to slow cooker. Sprinkle with any remaining sugar mixture.
- In a small bowl stir together butter, apple cider, and vanilla; pour over biscuits.
- Cover and cook on the high heat setting for 2 to 2½ hours or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Turn off the slow cooker. Carefully remove the lid so that condensation does not drip onto the bread.
- Cover opening of slow cooker with paper towels and place lid on top. Cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edge of the slow cooker, then move the bread to a serving platter. Spoon any topping from the cooker onto bread; cool slightly. Serve warm.
Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 222Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 170mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 1gSugar: 26gProtein: 1g
75 Comments on “Apple Monkey Bread Crockpot Recipe”
I LOVE Monkey Bread.
Pure comfort. This looks AMAZzzzing, Liz. x
This looks so mouthwatering good Liz! I can’t remember the last time I used my crockpot but it might be worth dusting off just to make monkey bread!
Looks awesome! When do you put the apples in?
Hi, Leah, See step #2…you add the apples in with the biscuits. Hope you try them 🙂
Yum, I love monkey bread and I can imagine how soft and warm and sticky this version would be.
So rich and luscious! Can’t believe this is prepared in the slow cooker!
I’ve never eaten this before but looking at your pictures I am so tempted. Absolutely gorgeous!
The idea of using a crock pot for making this awesome bread is really cool! The bread looks tempting and I too would go nuts for this monkey bread. 😛
I love the look of this, all dripping with sauce. I love the name too.
monkey bread is one of my favorites! I just love tearing off bite after bite! love that you made this in the crockpot! It is one of my absolute favorite appliances! Love finding new ways to use it!
I love the look of this breakfast bubble bread. I have never heard of it before and this is not something we typically eat for breakfast here in Oz. I’ll have to try this as I just know I’d love it. And Carl doesn’t know what half his keys are for either and I just hate it when we get to an event and he passes them to me and says, ‘Can I put these in your handbag?’ I have one shoulder lower than the other as a result of all that key-weight! xx
Can I confess that I love refrigerator biscuits especially in Monkey Bread????? Guess I just did, didn’t I? This looks so delicious.
Hi Liz! I had to read the title a few times to get the ‘crocktoberfest’ very clever and your dish the apple monkey bread would make you very popular with all those you shared it with….I think I need a monkey bread in my life, especially one with apples-wonderful;)
Well, your scrumptious breakfast bubble rolls have seriously motivated me to finally buy a slow cooker. And as soon as I get it you can bet your monkey bread will be one of the first things I make =)
There are a lot of good reasons to dust off my crockpot! Looks delicious. 🙂
That was the SMALLEST quality control plate that I have ever seen! No wonder why That Skinny Chick Can Bake!!! 🙂
Monkey bread in the Crock Pot – that is so brilliant! And all the better with apples. I can smell it now.
We love monkey bread over here but have never made in the crock pot – how intriguing!!!! Love this idea.
Oh this looks marvelous. I have never made anything sweet in my crock pot. This might be my first one.
What a glorious monkey bread, I love that glistening top!
That looks too pretty to be easy. This really hits my hot button.