Apple Ginger Coffee Cake
Chock full of fruit and spice, this apple ginger coffee cake will dazzle your friends and family.
Apples, two layers of streusel and a double dose of ginger make for a scrumptious, memorable breakfast treat! Plus, leftovers are wonderful for dessert!
The Hit of the Party: Apple Ginger Coffee Cake
My sister, Maddy, flew in from Denver to have an art show at my house. She left her paintings behind and set up a display of her repurposed jewelry, plates, coasters, note cards, and bags. I, of course, cooked up a storm.
This apple ginger coffee cake drew the most recipe requests of all the brunch treats I served, a sure sign of a winner. With chunks of apples, crystallized ginger and two (yes, TWO) layers of streusel, it will be a winner at your house, too.
Tips for Making this Apple Coffee Cake Recipe
- Moist, and chock full of apples, ginger, and spices, this shouts Autumn Has Arrived! It’s perfect for Thanksgiving morning or any fall weekend company.
- Don’t go overboard with the apples. One medium apple is perfect. Any more and the cake will be too wet; still tasty, but not as perfect as it could be.
- This fall breakfast treat is perfect with just a dusting of powdered sugar, but this coffee cake could also be served for dessert with a drizzle of caramel sauce. Mmmm…that is making me hungry. It might be time to bake another.
A Few More Recipes from the Brunch/Party Menu:
Smoked Salmon with Endive and Creme Fraiche
It’s ALL about the plating! Using endive leaves to hold the accompaniments, and rolling the smoked salmon into roses to serve with bagels is an elegant brunch offering.
Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting
Always a winner, these moist, flavorful pumpkin bars are topped with a decadent cream cheese frosting and a fun pumpkin garnish!
Brown Butter Toffee Cookies
Adding toffee, in my opinion, takes cookies to the next level! These brown butter toffee cookies are addicting!
Cranberry White Chocolate Cookies with Crystallized Ginger
One of my absolute favorite holiday cookies, these gems are chock full of scrumptious ingredients and the texture is also out of this world!!!
Plus check out more coffee cakes and brunch inspiration among these Easy Breakfast Recipes and Brunch Food Recipes! You might also enjoy this Italian Apple Tart, AKA Apple Crostata.
Apple Ginger Coffee Cake
A fabulous apple streusel coffee cake chock full of autumn spices. Adapted from Fine Cooking.
For the streusel:
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
For the cake:
- 2-1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 6 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 medium Granny Smith or Golden Delicious apple, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Butter and flour a 10-cup bundt pan and set aside.
- For the streusel, mix together the brown sugar, ginger, cinnamon, flour, and butter with your fingers to make large crumbs. Mix in the walnuts and refrigerate until ready to use.
- To make the cake, whisk together the flour, ground ginger, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl. Stir in the crystallized ginger and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the sugars, continuing to beat until very light. Add the vanilla and then the eggs one at a time, beating each one in well before adding the next. Alternately stir in the flour and the buttermilk, until the batter is just mixed. Do not over mix. Gently stir in the chopped apple.
- Pour half the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with a third of the streusel. Pour in the remaining batter and top with the remaining streusel.
- Bake until the top of the cake is firm (a skewer inserted in the center should come out clean), about 40 to 45 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes in the pan, then invert the cake onto a serving platter, dust with powdered sugar, and serve slightly warm or at room temperature.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 481Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 75mgSodium: 489mgCarbohydrates: 80gFiber: 2gSugar: 44gProtein: 10g
43 Comments on “Apple Ginger Coffee Cake”
Love the apple chunks seen through the cake. This is a perfect coffee or tea cake for me! Have a fun weekend, Liz!
It’s such a pretty cake tin. I love the pattern on the cake. Yes, apples can make a cake moist but if you go overboard, it can make a cake wet! How lovely to have your sister visit xx
I’d love to have some of this cake. The rest of the party fare looks delicious too.
Apple cake and fall seem to go together so well! I love all the seasonal bounty of Autumn! Sounds like a fun evening, Liz!
A beautiful cake for fall and one that everyone should have in their repertoire! And what a fun party. I used to love to do those!
Apples and spices simply sing of fall.
I love this time of year with apples in abundance and ginger compliments it so well. I look forward to trying this out soon xoxo
Liz, this cake slays on so many levels…love, love, love the flavor profiles! Are those fondant pumpkin garnishes on the pumpkin squares made by your hand? Nice work, my dear. Now I want to have brunch at your house. 😉
I LOVED seeing all the pics from that jewelry party. You are certainly a dynamic duo! And this cake–well, if it’s a hit for folks with such fine taste, I’ll have to save it for my recipe log as well.
Dear Liz, What a delicious cake, so tempting! specially with the coffee and ginger. I would like to have it right now with a cup of tea.
I just hit the print button!!!! I am excite about trying this delicious sounding cake. Looking forward to the rest of the recipes. Does your sister have an Etsy shop to see her creations? They sound wonderful.
Damn delicious, i had ever cofefe apple cake,
but the gingery flavour bring it to another level of taste, worth to try!
Such a gorgeous cake!! I can definitely see why it was a hit!
I still have some apples in our orchard that I can use for your cake with the crystalized ginger…it sounds terrific.
Love the flavors in this cake, it looks delicious! Pinning
This is so pretty and the flavors of this coffee cake sound incredible! I love the double streusel and all those apple chunks in here too!
This sounds wonderful! I know everyone is making pumpkin desserts, but in the fall my heart is with apple recipes.
The coffee cake sounds great Liz, lots of big flavors! Wish I had a slice this morning:@)
This coffee cake sounds and looks amazing, Liz! Love the flavours!
This apple ginger cake looks so good! I need to try it 🙂