When you’re looking for an off-season salad, this irresistible Apple, Cherry, Walnut Salad with Maple Dressing will fit the bill! You’ll fall in love with your first bite!
Apple, Cherry, Walnut Salad with Maple Dressing
The calendar flipped to a new season this week, and there’s definitely a chill in the air. I made my first pumpkin and apple desserts along with breaking out my slow cooker for the first time in months. Even my salads evolved from featuring heirloom tomatoes and basil to maple, nuts and apples.
I love fall salads for a change of pace! I dug deep into my recipe files to find this old favorite: Apple, Cherry, Walnut Salad with Maple Dressing. Whenever I serve this to company, I get compliments galore!
An Autumnal Salad
This salad was a cinch to toss together; perfect for company, but simple enough for a weeknight. The dressing had a number of ingredients, but all were staples in my kitchen. Do you have a stash of champagne vinegar? It’s one of my favorites and worth keeping in your pantry.
Tips for Making This Apple, Cherry, Walnut Salad
- I usually measure the salad dressing ingredients directly into a 2 cup Pyrex mixing cup, whisk until the mixture emulsifies, and then use the spout to drizzle the dressing over the salad.
- PRO-Tip: If you want to prep this earlier in the day, toss the apple pieces in a bit of the dressing to prevent the browning from oxidation.
- Dress the rest of the salad right before serving. The chewy cherries, crunchy walnuts and sweet apples created a sensational combination of flavors and textures and an unforgettable salad!
Save this Apple, Cherry, Walnut Salad with Maple Dressing for your next dinner party, family gathering or even for the holidays! It would be a great contrast to all the rich Thanksgiving dishes!
More Fall and Winter Salads You’ll Love:
- Autumn Cobb Salad from Foodie Crush
- Winter Salad with Apples, Pecans, Blue Cheese and Dried Cherries from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Fall Salad with Pears and Candied Pecans from Garnish with Lemon
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Autumn Spinach Salad with Pecan Vinaigrette from Aggie’s Kitchen
- Arugula Salad with Roasted Butternut Squash from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- More Salad Recipes
Adapted from Bon Appetit
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used olive oil, but it can solidify if you refrigerate)
- 5 ounces mixed baby greens
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and sliced into matchstick-sized pieces (I used Granny Smith)
- 1/2 cup dried tart cherries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- Whisk together mayonnaise, maple syrup, vinegar, sugar and oil. Set aside.
- If making ahead of time, toss the apples in a small amount of dressing to prevent browning and place in bottom of serving bowl. Top with greens, walnuts and dried cherries. Otherwise, place greens in bowl, and arrange apples, cherries and walnuts on top.
- Re-whisk dressing and toss with salad before serving. You do not need to use all the dressing.
Yield: 6 servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 374 Total Fat: 32g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 27g Cholesterol: 4mg Sodium: 65mg Carbohydrates: 23g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 17g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 3g