Angel Sugar Cookies: Sometimes a simple, old-fashioned sugar cookie is the best way to feed the soul.
These melt in your mouth cookies are perfect with a cup of coffee or tea, a lovely hostess gift or treat for your family!
Angel Sugar Cookies
There was a miserable week back in February when nobody was eating. Katie was fighting a stomach virus, Bill was post-op, and we had just lost our sweet pup, Lambeau. We had homemade soups in the fridge to sustain us, but our appetites were lacking.
Slowly things improved. And I felt like baking. I turned to Danielle, my sweet blogger friend, for inspiration…and found a recipe for these melt in your mouth Angel Sugar Cookies.
Old Fashioned Sugar Cookies
We all love those iced cut out sugar cookies, but they can take half a day to cut, bake and frost. Great for the holidays, but it’s nice to have an everyday, simple sugar cookie.
Sweet and crumbly, these Amish sugar cookies were perfect with my afternoon tea…or with a big glass of milk. These super easy, vanilla-flavored sugar cookies, are rolled in sugar and pressed flat with a jelly jar glass. Old fashioned and comforting. Just what we needed.
To see Danielle’s version, check out her post.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar plus extra for rolling
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups plus 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Beat together eggs, oil, butter, sugars, and vanilla.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Cover and refrigerate dough one hour.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop mounds of dough. Roll into spheres then roll in sugar. Place on lined baking sheet, leaving room between cookies for spreading.
- Press down with a glass to flatten each dough ball. Note that Danielle and Ree made very thin, crispy cookies and I made mine a little thicker. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes, until cookies are just barely turning brown.
Recipe adapted from Pioneer Woman via Hugs and Cookies.
Total time does not include chilling time.
Serving Size:1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0 Total Fat: 0g