I was elated to see that September’s Salad Bar theme was Asian Salads. I adore noodle or cabbage salads with soy sauce, sesame oil and even peanut butter. I was contemplating which type to create when this Saveur recipe for Vietnamese Chicken Salad appeared in my inbox. Loads of shredded veggies and chicken were dressed with lime juice, fish oil, rice wine vinegar and canola oil. It was intriguing and I knew I had to test it out.
When gathered with my sisters a few years ago, we made a Vietnamese Noodle Bowl with quite similar ingredients. This Vietnamese Chicken Salad is heavier on the veggies and sans noodles. Perfect for my lunches during the week. And I could easily make it my dinner, too, but the picky fellow I live with likes his meat and potatoes, rib-sticking type dinners. Using shredded rotisserie chicken or leftovers makes for speedier prep. Chock full of veggies, chock full of flavor! Shake it up with your favorites. I’d up the bell peppers, add sugar snap or snow peas…the sky’s the limit. There’s no excuse not to add this healthy entree salad to your menu!
- 2 jalapenos, minced or sliced very thin
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced (I used a sweet Vidalia onion)
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 4 cups shredded napa cabbage
- 2 carrots, julienned
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Chopped mint, for garnish
- MInce or slice jalapenos (I wear disposable gloves Add garlic, sugar, rice wine vinegar, lime
- juice, fish sauce, oil, and onion. Mix
- till sugar dissolves. Add shredded chicken, shredded white cabbage, red bell pepper,and carrots.. Season with freshly ground black pepper, mix, and garnish with cilantro and mint if desired.