Vanilla Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting are the perfect dessert for any occasion! Sweet and tender cakes are topped with mounds of rich, slightly tangy frosting. A divine combination.
Vanilla Cupcakes for a Special Birthday
Katie’s birthday was approaching so we both mulled over what dessert to serve, but we also kept in mind that her little brother was coming home for the weekend. She likes peanut butter desserts, cheesecake and tres leches cake. He does not. He’s a dark chocolate fan. She is not. We compromised with vanilla cupcakes topped with cream cheese frosting. Nick would not be exactly thrilled with the icing, but what the heck, it’s not his birthday!
An Ina Garten Recipe
Ina’s sour cream vanilla cupcakes got raves all over the web. And who doesn’t love cream cheese frosting? Well, besides my son. The sour cream makes for a moist, tender crumb and a cloud of sweet, creamy icing with a bit of tang was the complement to the mini cakes. Katie was delighted plus she was thrilled to have both brothers home for the celebration. There was only a little griping about the icing from one of them!
- 9 tablespoons (1 stick plus 1 tablespoon) butter, at room temperature
- 1½ cups sugar
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons + 2½ teaspoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ sticks butter, at room temperature
- 1 brick (8 ounces) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 6 ounces powdered sugar, sifted (approximately 1⅓ cups)
- 1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350º. Line muffin pans with paper liners.
- Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on high speed, until light and fluffy. On medium speed, add the eggs, one at a time, then add the sour cream and vanilla. Scrape down the sides and stir until smooth.
- Sift together the flour, cornstarch, salt, and baking soda in a bowl. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture to the butter mixture until just combined. Fill the cupcake liners to the top with batter. Bake in the center of the oven for 20 to 30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool to room temperature.
- For the icing, mix the butter, cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, on low speed, mixing just until smooth. Spread or pipe the frosting generously on top of each cupcake
This recipe was adapted from Ina Garten. If you’d like to double, use extra large eggs or increase to 7 large eggs.