Tantalize your taste buds with this dense and delicious Sugar Crusted Zucchini Bread!
Sugar Crusted Zucchini Bread
Besides the usual teasing of the palate done on this blog, this week’s Sunday Supper crew is tantalizing another one of our senses by focusing on foods inspired by a song or music. I went straight to the Archies, and their number one single in 1969, Sugar, Sugar…knowing almost anything I baked could fit the bill. I was a mere babe when this song was a hit, but my best friend’s older siblings always had the latest Archie comic books and exposed us to the pop music de rigueur. I’ve been taste testing zucchini breads this summer…but the first was too oily, the next was weighed down with too much zucchini and not enough leavening. Then last but not least, I baked up this Sugar Crusted Zucchini Bread.
A Healthy Twist!
With the addition of some King Arthur Flour’s White Whole Wheat Flour and half the amount of oil when compared to my first recipe, this is a healthier zucchini bread. Katie was not as thrilled with it as I was…but she’s my toughest critic. I think she’d prefer that I served her actual cake for breakfast! I used a recommendation from one of the previous recipes and dusted the buttered pans with a nice coating of sugar before adding the batter. The bread was moist, flavorful with a sweet crust…finally a winner!
Tip of the Day: Quick bread batter should not be over-mixed. Use a rubber spatula, not a mixer, to add in the dry ingredients. Over-mixing will cause tunnels in your loaves…and create a peaked top instead of a rounded topped muffin.
Please scroll down to see what tunes inspired my more creative Sunday Supper friends in their kitchens this week.
Here are the Archies!
- Butter and Sugar to coat the pans
- 2½ cups flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat or whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- ¾ pound zucchini (about 2 medium), coarsely grated
- Butter two 5 x 9-inch loaf pans then coat with sugar. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Whisk together flours, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, then add the sugars, whisking till mixture becomes a pale yellow color, about 2-3 minutes. Add the oil and vanilla and whisk to combine. Mix in zucchini, then add the dry ingredients with a rubber spatula. Mix till just combined.
- Divide batter between the two pans and bake for 60-70 minutes or till a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool about 10-15 minutes before removing the loaves to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Bread tastes best when served at room temperature and is even better then next day.
- Calimocho (Red Red Wine Cocktail) from La Cocina de Leslie inspired by Red Red Wine by UB40
- Dark & Stormy Cocktail Recipe from An Appealing Plan inspired by Thunder Road by Bruce Springsteen
- Horchata from Treats & Trinkets inspired by Horchata by Vampire Weekend
- Orange Crush from Magnolia Days inspired by Orange Crush by REM
- Pineapple Lemonade Slushy with Coconut Water from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz inspired by Lemon Tree by Peter, Paul & Mary
- Strawberry Tequila from Shockingly Delicious inspired by Strawberry Fields Forever by The Beatles
- Mustard Dill Beer Bread from Curious Cuisiniere inspired by In Heaven There Is No Beer a German Polka
Intermezzo (Entrees & Sides):
- Chicken and Bacon Cheddar Waffles from I Run For Wine inspired by Glady’s Knight
- Classic Fried Chicken from The Food Army Wife inspired by Chicken Fried by Zac Brown Band
- Margarita Chicken from In The Kitchen With KP inspired by Margaritaville by Jimmy Buffet
- Meatball Duet from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings inspired by On Top of Spaghetti by Tom Glazer
- Pan-Seared Halibut with Corn Hash and Asparagus Puree from Crazy Foodie Stunts inspired by Saturday Night Fish Fry by Louis Jordan
- Slow Cooker Sweet and Spicy BBQ Pulled Pork from Neighborfood inspired by Something Like That by Tim McGraw
- Spaghetti and Pork Meatballs from Family Foodie inspired by On Top of Spaghetti by Kidsongs
- Teriyaki Burger from Juanita’s Cocina inspired by Cheeseburger in Paradise by Jimmy Buffet
- Banana Cream Pie Bars from Peanut Butter and Peppers inspired by Tra La La Song by The Banana Splits
- Banana Pancake Ice Cream with Maple Brittle from Foxes Love Lemons inspired by Banana Pancakes by Jack Johnson
- Cherry Pie from My Cute Bride inspired by Cherry Pie by Warrant
- Cherry Marshmallows from Pies and Plots inspired by I Want Candy by Bow Wow Wow
- Chocolate Cappuccino Cream Puffs from Runner’s Tales inspired by Choux Pastry Heart by Corinne Bailey Rae
- Chocolate Chip, Walnut and Caramel Banana Bread Ice Cream Sandwich from Ruffles & Truffles inspired by Hollaback Girl by Gwen Stefani
- Chocolate Covered Caramels from Big Bear’s Wife inspired by At Last by Etta James
- Coconut Rum Blondies from Gotta Get Baked inspired by I’ve Got A Lovely Bunch of Coconuts by Danny Kaye
- Easy Blueberry Recipe: Fruit Tart from Growing Up Gabel inspired by Blueberry Hill by Fats Domino
- Espresso Nib Ice Cream from Vintage Kitchen Notes inspired by Black Coffee by Ella Fitzgerald
- Fancy Watermelon Lime Popsicles from Daily Dish Recipes inspired by Watermelon Crawl by Tracy Byrd
- Fresh Peach Pie from Killer Bunnies, Inc. inspired by Sweet Sweet Pie by PWEI
- Jammin’ Oatmeal Cookies from What Smells So Good? inspired by Jammin’ by Bob Marley
- Many Flavors Whipped Cream from Noshing with the Nolands inspired by Whipped Cream and Other Delights by Herb Albert and the Tijuana Brass
- Peach Basil Pie from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen inspired by Peaches by POTUSA
- Pina Colada Poke Cake from Cookin’ Mimi inspired by Two Pina Coladas by Garth Brooks
- Peach Donuts with Brown Sugar from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks inspired by Peaches by POTUSA
- Peach Strudel with Honey Bourbon Frozen Yogurt from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures inspired by My Favorite Things from The Sound of Music & Wild Honey by U2
- Rainbow Popsicle from The Urban Mrs inspired by Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice
- Salted Ripple Chip No Machine Ice Cream from Cupcakes & Kale Chips inspired by Ice Cream by Sarah McLachlan
- Salted Peanut Swirl Peanut Butter Ice Cream from girlichef inspired by Salt Peanuts by The Quintet
- Shall We Dance? Fairy Cakes from The Ninja Baker inspired by Shall We Dance from the Japanese Film
- Sugar Crusted Zucchini Bread from That Skinny Chick Can Bake inspired by Sugar, Sugar by the Archies
- Tangerine Sorbet from Webicurean inspired by Tangerine Speedo by Caviar
- Yeasted Banana Bread from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner inspired by I Like Bread and Butter by The New Beats
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. Our Sunday Supper Twitter chat starts at 7 PM ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.A special thanks to Susan, of the Girl in the Little Red Kitchen, for hosting us this week!