Strawberry Waffle Cake
At our house, the hubby is the waffle maker. He takes the box biscuit mix out of the pantry and makes a hot breakfast for himself on the weekends. On occasion, I’ll whip up waffles from scratch and have even made some pretty spectacular savory waffles. But these are pretty memorable, too. Instead of a standard waffle batter, I turned to a sweet white cake batter. This was just enough for three thick Belgian waffles. Waffles that tasted like cake. How about that??? The rest was easy. I beat some heavy cream and sliced some juicy, ripe strawberries then tossed them with a bit of sugar to bring out the juices. Alternating waffles, cream, and berries, the “cake” was formed.
A Spin on Strawberry Shortcake
I’ve given up on trying to elicit quotes from the hubby. I’d always hope for, “It’s a culinary masterpiece,” but instead get, “This is good. Really good.” I think both are accurate. I sliced wedges and the gang was pleased. I had our first local strawberries and this was the perfect way to showcase them. The family adores strawberry shortcake, and this cake was just a twist on the classic. I was thrilled with the beautiful presentation and rave reviews. Dust off your waffle maker and give this gem of a cake a try!! How do you make strawberry shortcake?
More Waffle Recipes from the Sunday Supper Tastemakers:
Sweet and Sinful:
- Banana Split Waffle Cake by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Blueberry Buttermilk Waffles by Alida’s Kitchen
- Boston Cream Pie Waffles by Crazed Mom
- Chocolate Cherry Beet Waffles by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chocolate Chip Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Chocolate Pizelles – The Italian Waffle by GirlAbroad
- Churro Waffles by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Waffles by Omnivore’s Cookbook
- Dark Chocolate Waffles with Cherry Syrup by The Chef Next Door
- Easy Peasy Blueberry Sauce for Waffles by Pine Needles In My Salad
- Fluffernutter Waffles by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Irish Cream Waffles with Whiskey Strawberries by Tramplingrose
- Japanese Green Tea Matcha Cream Topped Vegan Waffles by NinjaBaker
- Maple Bacon Waffle Ice Cream Cake by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake Waffles by Cookin’ Mimi
- Red, White and Blueberry Sourdough Waffles by Cooking With Carlee
- S’Mores Waffles by The Freshman Cook
- Spiced Banana Nut Waffles by Magnolia Days
- Strawberry Shortcake Waffles with Cinnamon Whipped Cream by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Waffle Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Waffle Kebobs with Maple Yogurt Dipping Sauce by A Mind Full Mom
- Yeasted Waffles with Peach Syrup by Pies and Plots
Savory Brinner Winners:
- Asiago Waffle Egg Sandwiches by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Bacon Cheeseburger Waffles (Low Carb) by My Life Cookbook
- Bacon Waffles by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Biscuit Waffle Breakfast Stacks by The Weekend Gourmet
- Bleu Pig Potato Waffles by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Breakfast Poutine Waffles by She Loves Biscotti
- Cheesy Bacon Waffles with Spicy Ketchup by Momma’s Meals
- Cheesy Polenta Waffles by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Cheesy Spinach Waffles with Ham by Wholistic Woman
- Chicken & Waffles by Family Around the Table
- Corn Waffles Nachos-Style by Caroline’s Cooking
- Croque Monsieur Waffles by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Eggs Benedict Cauliflower Waffles by Life Tastes Good
- Korean Fried Chicken and Ramen Waffles by kimchi MOM
- Loaded Gluten Free Cornbread Waffles by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Luau Egg Benedict Waffle by Brunch-n-Bites
- Mexican Cornbread Waffles by Sunday Supper Movement
- Monte Cristo Waffle Sandwich by Palatable Pastime
- Pulled Pork Waffle Tacos by The Crumby Cupcake
- Pumpkin Cornbread Waffles with BBQ Chicken Thighs by Our Good Life
- Scallion Waffles by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sweet and Spicy Pecan Shredded Beef Waffles by Family Foodie
- Waffled Falafel Sandwiches by Food Lust People Love
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- 2½ cups sliced strawberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar (or to taste)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar till blended. Add the vanilla and melted butter and whisk till combined. In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add half of this dry mixture to the egg mixture and whisk until just combined. Add the remainder of the dry ingredient and whisk until combined, but do not overmix.
- Preheat your Belgium waffle maker (grease before heating if it's not non-stick). Add as much batter as needed to make a waffle and cook till done. Repeat two more times or till all the batter is gone. Cool on a rack before assembling.
- Mix the sliced strawberries with the 2 tablespoons of sugar and set aside. Check for sweetness and add more sugar if needed.
- Whip the heavy cream with powdered sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form.
- Place one waffle on a serving plate. Top with ⅓ of the whipped cream, then arrange ⅓ of the berries over the cream. Repeat two more times.
- Serve within a few hours for the best results.
More Winning Waffle Recipes from the Blog:
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.