While Bill was hospitalized last month, I wanted to take some goodies to his stellar nursing staff. I got the bright idea to combine my Tuesdays with Dorie recipe for buttermilk scones with my Twelve Loaves theme of strawberries. So I whipped up a batch of these divine Strawberry Buttermilk Scones. When I spied Marion Cunningham’s name as the contributing baker in this Baking with Julia recipe, I was reassured the result would be sensational.
I diced fresh strawberries and set them on some paper toweling to absorb the excess juices. A tablespoon of finely grated orange zest gave another hit to the flavor profile. These buttery gems now rival my cream scones as my favorites…as the buttermilk provided the same tenderness and moisture as the cream in my usual recipe. Our oldest, Tom, was over to check on his dad and I offered him a scone…there was no arm twisting involved as he shoveled one in before dinner. He hemmed and hawed that he was having his wellness labs drawn at work the next day, so wouldn’t take any home with him that night. But, what do you know? There was an inquiry about freezing these, then the rest were absconded with.
#TwelveLoaves March: Strawberries. February was a delicious month of Chocolate breads! We are ready for spring and chose Strawberries for our March theme! Choose a recipe featuring strawberries. (Your bread of choice could be accented with fresh or dried strawberries, strawberry preserves) Whatever you bake, (yeasted, quick bread, crackers, muffins, braids, flatbreads, etc) have fun and let’s have a delicious month of bread with STRAWBERRIES. Let’s get baking! Here is a list of the other Twelve Loaves hostesses this month and their strawberry breads:
- Strawberry Almond Quick Bread by Renee from Magnolia Days
- Strawberry Bread with Rhubarb and Bananas by Renee from Kudos Kitchen
- Brioche Loaves with Fresh Strawberry Jam by Alice from Hip Foodie Mom
- Strawberry Buttermilk Scones by Liz from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Balsamic Strawberry Cinnamon Rolls by Felice from All That’s Left Are The Crumbs
- Framboise Muffins with Strawberry Jam by Rossella from Ma che ti sei mangiato
- Strawberry Dessert Rolls by Dionne from Try Anything Once Culinary
- Strawberry Hazelnut Buttermilk Quick Bread by Heather from girlichef
- Strawberry Swirl Sweet Rolls by Donna from Cookistry
- Strawberry Bread by Holly from A Baker’s House
- Strawberry Cheesecake Sweet Bread by Stacy from Food Lust People Love
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Muffins by Deepti from Baking Yummies
- Strawberry Danish by Karen from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Strawberry Bagels by Lora from Cake Duchess
- Strawberry Pound Cake by Kathya from Basic N Delicious
If you’d like to add your bread to the collection with the Linky Tool this month, here’s what you need to do!
1. When you post your Twelve Loaves bread on your blog, make sure that you mention the Twelve Loaves challenge in your blog post; this helps us to get more members as well as share everyone’s posts. Please make sure that your bread is inspired by the theme!
2. Please link your post to the linky tool at the bottom of my blog. It must be a bread baked to the Twelve Loaves theme.
#TwelveLoaves is a monthly bread baking party created by Lora from Cake Duchess. #TwelveLoaves runs so smoothly thanks to the help of the lovely Renee from Magnolia Days and this month the fabulous Alice of Hip Foodie Mom.