This simple Straw and Hay Pasta is as pretty as it is delicious! And SO quick and easy.
Straw and Hay Pasta
This Straw and Hay Pasta recipe is from my mom…and I know exactly why she liked it. The commingling of the green and cream fettuccine noodles have a lovely aesthetic appeal…and as an artist, she always wanted our plates to be as beautiful as they were tasty. She served our meals on solid color plates and we sat around our dining room table covered with beautiful, rich deep hued tablecloth. Our family dinners started at 6 PM, right after the 5:30 national news. When I was in high school, my mom went back to college to get her MFA and pasta dinners appeared more frequently on our table. They came together quickly, but were never dull. Adding different veggies, meats and cheeses prevented any monotony. This Straw and Hay met those criteria…al dente pasta, garlic and onions, salty prosciutto, plus peas in a creamy sauce.
Get Your Children in the Kitchen
I used fresh pasta as I had trouble finding dried spinach fettuccine. You are welcome to use fresh or dried pasta, two colors or just one. If you’re not a fan of peas, add another veggie (just cook it first). This dish goes from stove top to plate in no time at all…and allows for more family time around the table. After all, isn’t that what our Sunday Supper mission is all about? And make sure to invite your children to be a part of the meal making process. With supervision, even a young child can pour a handful of salt into the pasta water, stir the pasta, measure out the peas. They are much more likely to try new foods when they participate in the preparation….now if only I could back track and work with my picky husband!
This is a special addition of Sunday Supper. A big thanks to American Family Insurance who is sponsoring 20 of the Sunday Supper bloggers to share a favorite childhood meal. This is part of their Back to the Table Campaign. Please scroll down to see what delectable dinner ideas we’re featuring today…all simple enough to get on the table despite our hectic schedules. They are also having a “Share Your Recipe” sweepstakes for 6 weeks with a weekly prize is a $100 Williams-Sonoma gift card plus a grand prize of a $500 Williams-Sonoma gift card. For details visit: https://contests.amfam.com/familydinnertable/
Please check out all the AmFam Social Media sites and make certain to scroll down to visit all the scrumptious recipes from my Sunday Supper friends:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup finely minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 ounces prosciutto, julienne
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas, defrosted
- 6 ounces fettuccine
- 6 ounces spinach fettuccine
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- Heat the butter and oil in a large saute pan, then add the onions and cook till translucent, then add garlic and prosciutto an cook about a minute more while stirring. Add the cream and bring to a simmer and cook till slightly thickened. Season to taste with pepper and salt if only if needed as the prosciutto adds saltiness.Add the peas and remove from the heat.
- Cook pasta in well salted water according to package directions.
- Return the sauce to the heat. Add the drained pasta and toss till well combined. Add the Parmesan, toss and serve.
- Asian Short Rib Tacos with Pineapple & Crunchy Slaw by Foxes Loves Lemons
- Barbecue Chicken Pizza by In The Kitchen With KP
- Beef & Potato Skillet Supper by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Braised Pork Chops and Sauerkraut by kimchi MOM
- Chicken a la King by Juanita’s Cocina
- Chicken and Dumplings by Country Girl In The Village
- Chicken Crescent Squares by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Family Fave Lasagne by NinjaBaking.com
- Gluten Free Peppered Steak by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Greek Meatballs (Soutzoukakia) by Supper For A Steal
- Green Chile Chicken Tortilla Casserole by girlichef
- Hungarian Goulash by The Foodie Army Wife
- Linguine with fresh Tomatoes and Basil by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Meatloaf by Magnolia Days
- Peixe Asado no Forno | Fish Baked in the Oven by Family Foodie
- Pierogies by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Sour Cream Coffee Cake by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Straw and Hay Pasta by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Swiss Steak by Curious Cuisiniere
- Veggie Mac and Cheese by Hip Foodie Mom
I hope you’ll join the #SundaySupper Twitter chat tonight at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous inspiration. And if you’re interested in joining the Sunday Supper movement, check out this link: Sunday Supper Movement
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by American Family Insurance. All opinions are my own.
Linked to: Inspiration Monday