This Spinach, Strawberry, Pomegranate, Feta Salad has flavors and textures that will tickle every palate.
What Do You Like in Your Green Salads?
Bill would be happy with a lettuce and tomato salad topped with French dressing. I like mine a bit more jazzy, with fruits, nuts and cheese. And almost always with a vinaigrette. When Melissa’s sent me a package of gorgeous, ruby red pomegranates, I knew one would be designated for a salad…an extra special touch that makes this perfect for a holiday table. The pomegranates at my local market have been disappointing. Their pale arils and lackluster flavor truly irk me. I adore their rosy color amongst the rainbow of other fruit on a fall or winter fruit platter. They create an exquisite presentation when cracked open with a few of the gem-like berries spilling from the shell. I had to resort to plan B for a recent coffee I hosted, as I was underwhelmed by my purchase. How I wish my Melissa’s delivery had come that week.
A Terrific Vinaigrette
Once my ingredients were ready to go, all I had to do was whip up a salad dressing. My sister can drizzle in a bit of this and that and come up with an outstanding vinaigrette. I hover, begging her to measure each ingredient so I can reproduce it at home. But she was back in Denver, so I was left to my own devices. I think I finally reached perfection. This dressing rocks…the best I’ve made. So get out your whisk and make sure you use a top notch balsamic vinegar. I was the lucky recipient of Star Fine Food’s Gold Edition Balsamic Vinegar of Modena, which worked like a charm and produced a scrumptious topping for this lovely salad.
Disclosure: Melissa’s Foods supplied me with a lovely supply of fresh pomegranates and Brussels sprouts . I was not compensated for writing this post and the opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Melissa’s Foods. Star Fine Foods sent me samples of their Gold Edition Balsamic Vinegar of Modena, Vinaigrette Portion Packs and EVOO Red & White Wine Vinegar Single Serve Packs. I was not compensated for writing this post and the opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Star Fine Foods. Please click through the links to learn about these terrific products.
- ½ cup sugared pecans (see below)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- One bag (5 ounces) baby spinach
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- 4-8 ounces sliced strawberries
- ½ cup crumbled Feta cheese
- Seeds (arils) from one small pomegranate
- 3 tablespoons premium balsamic vinegar, I used Star Balsamic Vinegar of Modena, Gold Edition
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- To make sugared pecans, add the pecans plus 1 tablespoon sugar. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, till sugar melts and pecans are coated. Remove to non-stick foil or parchment paper to cool.
- To make the vinaigrette, whisk together vinegar, mustard and garlic. Add oil in a slow stream, whisking constantly till well combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place spinach in serving bowl, top with onion, berries, Feta, pomegranate arils, and cooled pecans. Toss with vinaigrette just before serving.