Sour Cream Pear Bread
I have eaten scrumptious pear coffee cakes, but never a pear quick bread. I was bound and determined to create a moist and flavorful loaf, and, indeed, I did. This Sour Cream Pear Bread is full of small pear chunks plus a hint of spice from cinnamon and ginger. The addition of sour cream made for a rich batter, which in turn, baked up to a perfect loaf.
Pear Season Arrives!
My home base taste testers had no interest in even a nibble of this bread, so I turned to my girlfriends who always love sampling my experiments. The loaf was whittled down to next to nothing after the initial tasting and the packaging up of slices to be taken home. We all agreed that the pear taste was quite subtle, and there was even the declaration of “this is so much better than banana bread.” One astute friend noticed the sweet, crispy crust which was created by dusting the greased loaf pan with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar before adding the batter. And incorporating both ground cinnamon and ginger helped to boost the flavor of what could have been a bland loaf. With pear season arriving, make sure to grab a couple extra and bake up some sour cream pear bread for your friends and family. I really loved this!
- Butter, for greasing the pan
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon sugar
- 1-3/4 cups cake flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ cup and 2 tablespoons butter,
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1-1/2 medium pears, peeled, cored and finely chopped (I used Bartlett pears)
- Grease a large loaf pan. Line the bottom of the pan with a rectangle of parchment and grease the top of the parchment as well. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar into the pan, and tilt to coat the buttered surface. Shake out the excess. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350º.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and ginger. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each. Stir in the vanilla and sour cream, mixing just until blended. Gradually stir in the flour mixture until fully incorporated. Fold in the chopped pears using a rubber spatula.
- Bake for 45 to 65 minutes or till a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool the cake in the pan for 15 minutes, then run a knife around the outside edge of the cake. Carefully invert onto a cooling rack. If the cake won't come out of the pan, tap it firmly with a knife on the bottom and sides of the pan. Set aside to cool completely.
Marvelous Pear Breads for September
#TwelveLoaves -September: Hosted by Camilla of Culinary Adventures with Camilla. Welcome, fall baking! The month of August was all about baking with fresh, summer herbs. September is all about baking with PEARS! Whatever you bake, (yeasted, quick bread, crackers, muffins, braids, flatbreads, etc) have fun and let’s have a delicious month of bread with Pears. Let’s get baking!
#TwelveLoaves September: Pears If you’d like to add your bread to the collection with the Linky Tool this month, here’s what you need to do! 1. When you post your Twelve Loaves bread on your blog, make sure that you mention the Twelve Loaves challenge in your blog post; this helps us to get more members as well as share everyone’s posts. Please make sure that your bread is inspired by the theme! 2. Please link your post to the linky tool at the bottom of my blog. It must be a bread baked to the Twelve Loaves theme. 3. Have your Twelve Loaves bread that you baked this September 2014, and posted on your blog by September 30, 2014.
#TwelveLoaves runs smoothly with the help of our bakers. A big thanks to Camilla of Culinary Adventures with Camilla for hosting our event!
#TwelveLoaves is a monthly bread baking party created by Lora from Cake Duchess and run with the help of Heather of girlichef.
- Asian Pear Bread by NinjaBaking
- Pear and Almond Muffins by Basic N Delicious
- Pear and Cherry Sourdough Bread by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Pear, Banana, and Quinoa Muffins by Rhubarb and Honey
- Pear Streusel Sweet Rolls by Try Anything Once Culinary
- Raspberry Pear Pecan Quick Bread by A Baker’s House
- SavoryPear Flatbread with Gorgonzola by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Spiced Buttermilk Poached Pear Bread by girlichef
- Turkish Pear Coffee Bread by A Shaggy Dough Story