S’mores Cookie Bars
I was reminded of this yummy recipe this summer when one of my dear friends called me with a question. Her daughter was getting married up in Michigan and she and her husband wanted to make these for a pre-wedding event at their gorgeous lakeside home. I had to shake the cobwebs out of my brain to remember when I first baked these bars. This was well before Danielle and I were sharing each other’s recipes each month, but I knew it came from her blog. Well, apparently they were a success—whew. I can only imagine eating these glorious bars while watching the sunset on the beach. I thought it was time for me to make these again!
Care Package for Nick
We planned to head down to visit our youngest son, Nick, and take him out for dinner one Sunday last month. I usually bake up something for him and his roomies. I’m certain they needed something a little tastier than Chips Ahoy and Oreos. He had just gotten word that he’d been accepted to his first choice medical school and was on cloud nine. We had a good reason to celebrate! The first time I made these, I completely covered the marshmallow cream with cookie dough. But this time, I let some marshmallow peek through. I also sprinkled a few chocolate chips over the top just to hint at what was below the surface. If you’re looking for stackable bars, a cleaner top layer might be warranted. I let Bill sample a corner, and he gave them his seal of approval. Not that I was worried!
Two Sweetie Pies
Thanks again to my lovely friend, Danielle, for another magnificent recipe! She is my go-to blogger for decadent treats. I promise you will love whatever you try from her blog!!! We share a recipe from each other’s sites every second Monday of the month. These were a hit with Nick and his friends! You’ll love them, too.
Check out Danielle’s take on this recipe as well as her social media sites! Make sure to check out which of my recipes she made this month, too.
Serves: 16-25 bars
- 1 stick butter (4 ounces), at room temperature
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⅓ cups flour
- ¾ cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 5 standard Hershey bars
- 1 7-ounce jar marshmallow creme
- 3 tablespoons chocolate chips, optional
- Heat oven to 350°. Line 8 inch pan with nonstick foil or regular foil sprayed with cooking spray.
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Stir in flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder and salt. Mix until blended. Press half of dough into prepared pan.
- Lay chocolate bars over dough. Spread with marshmallow creme. A wet knife will make this process easier. Scatter bits of remaining dough over marshmallow; carefully press to form a layer (you can completely cover the marshmallow creme or leave some openings). Sprinkle with a few tablespoons of chocolate chips if desired.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely, then remove from pan using foil and cut to serve.