When I learned that my father-in-law had metastatic lung cancer earlier this year, Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic was the first blogger friend to reach out an offer me comfort and an ear whenever I needed to talk. She watched her own father succumb to this vicious disease…and knew how it ripped her heart to shreds. She approached me earlier this spring about sharing a dish for “Recipes from The Heart” to honor her dear dad. Scroll down to see all the wonderful dishes and links, including my S’mores Brownies in Jars, to stories about how cancer has affected so many of us. And I’m certain you’ll want to enter our KitchenAid Stand Mixer giveaway, too.
Today’s event is being hosted by Kim and Jen of Juanita’s Cocina. They teamed up with a group of blogger friends to help raise awareness and support for Cancer and Hospice today in memory of Kim’s dad. We encourage everyone to read the posts and share their own experiences with cancer. We also would like to encourage everyone to donate to the Canadian Cancer Society, the American Cancer Society and also to the Canadian Hospice Palliative Care Association. Hospice was a key element during Kim’s father’s battle with cancer. They made it possible for Kim to care for him at home. So please show your support and donate if you can. You can also contact your local Hospice and donate directly to them if you wish. A little goes a long way!
We spent many summer vacations with my in-laws up in Wisconsin. Boating, fishing, Packer worshiping were all part of our adventures up north. Come sundown, we’d get a roaring campfire going and spend the last minutes of twilight searching for the perfect marshmallow roasting sticks. Making s’mores by squeezing a charred and gooey marshmallow and a piece of milk chocolate between two graham crackers was part of our nightly routine.
This s’mores inspired dessert was a snap to prepare…a layer of graham cracker crust was topped with some fudgy brownie dough and baked. Marshmallows filled the rest of the jars and were broiled to give that characteristic roasted s’mores look. You can also make these using a boxed brownie mix…which will most likely fill more than 4 jars. We’ll be heading back to Wisconsin in a few weeks…but this time it will be without my father-in-law. We’ll toast him, shed a few tears and roast a few in his memory.
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- ¼ cup (1/2 stick) melted butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ cup butter (1/2 stick)
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Mini or regular sized marshmallows
- Set canning jars on baking sheet.
- Mix together graham cracker crumbs, melted butter and sugar. Place approximately ¼ cup in bottom of each jar and tamp down to make and even layer.
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Make brownie batter by melting chocolate and butter in microwave safe bowl, zapping and stirring at 30 second increments till smooth and melted. Mix in sugar and vanilla and let cool a few minutes. Mix in eggs, then salt and flour.
- Divide batter evenly between the four jars. Bake for approximately 30 minutes (time will vary depending on diameter of jars). Start checking at 25 minutes, making sure centers look cooked before removing from the oven. You can use a toothpick to check doneness.
- Let cool about 15 minutes.
- Top each with a handful of mini-marshmallows or a few large marshmallows. Place under broiler, about 6 inches from element, until tops are browned, about 2-3 minutes. Watch carefully to prevent burning.
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream with Home-made Strawberry Topping by Cravings of a Lunatic
Chili Verde by Juanita’s Cocina
S’Mores Brownies in Jars by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Dark Chocolate and Orange Muffins by The Dutch Baker’s Daughter
Boston Cream Pie by Pass The Sushi
My Fathers Day Recipe Round Up by Curry and Comfort
Tropical Smoothie by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
Mini Gugelhupf by Masala Herb
Sauteed Strawberry and Sugarsnap Salad by Cook The Story
Cranberry Cashew Breakfast Muffins by In Fine Balance
Arugula Salad with Sundried Tomatoes and Mushrooms by Crazy Foodie Stunts
Spicy Beef Sliders by Katie’s Cucina
Thai Red Curry Soup by Damn Delicious
Suman (Sweet Rice and Banana Leaves) by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Fresh Vegetable Salad by White Lights on Wednesday
Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream Sundae by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
Cinnamon Chip Cookie Butter Bars by The Messy Baker
Berry/Cherry Fro-Yo Ice Cream by Cookistry
Honey Beer Bread by Hungry Couple
Cinnamon-Chocolate Chip Pancakes by The Spiffy Cookie
Chocolate Cherry Granola Bars by Sweet Remedy
Cookies and Cream Brownies by Cooking in Stilettos
Blueberry Lemon Cake by Roxana’s Home Baking
Angel Cake by Ninja Baking
Knit (or crocheted) Grey Brain Cancer Mustache Pin by Knit, Purl, Damn!