Brisket was not a cut of meat I grew up eating. When my friend, Joanne, had her Coffee Glazed Brisket recipe published in Martha Stewart’s Everyday Foods magazine, I knew I had to make it. SO simple and delicious, I’ve never been tempted to try another brisket recipe. I’ve always made this in a Dutch oven, but decided to adapt it for a slow cooker or crock pot for those busy days. I can pop it in the slow cooker in the morning and have a stress free meal, and an amazing aroma wafting through the house, by dinner time. Served with mashed potatoes, this makes for a hubby approved entree. I think “incredible” was uttered at least once on the night I served this entree.
Today, my Sunday Supper friends are slowly bringing in the New Year by sharing slow cooker recipes. Make sure to scroll down to get some inspiration for your January meals…lots of comfort foods guaranteed to please your family.
Serves: 4-6 servings
- 3 pounds beef brisket (thin first cut if possible)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ½ cup freshly brewed coffee
- ½ cup ketchup
- ½ cup chili sauce
- ½ cup honey
- ⅓ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Heat oil in Dutch oven. Season brisket with salt and pepper. Add the brisket, fat side down and cook until well browned, about 4-5 minutes per side.
- Combine the remaining ingredients, place brisket in slow cooker, and pour sauce over brisket. Cook on low for 8 hours, flipping at the halfway mark, or till meat shreds easily with a fork. Remove from slow cooker and slice against the grain. Place back in slow cooker to allow slices to absorb some of the pan juices. Serve with sauce.
- Alternatively, cover and bake in 325º oven for 2½-3 hours, flipping halfway through cooking time.
Ease into 2014 with these great slow-cooker and crock pot ideas from the Sunday Supper Group! A huge thank you to Cindy, of Cindy’s Recipes and Writings, for hosting us this week.
Whet Your Appetite
Simmering Soups, Stews, and Side Dishes
- Chicken and Wild Rice Soup from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Low-Carb Chunky Beefy Vegetable Soup from Yours And Mine Are Ours
- Beef, Wine and Mushroom Soup from Noshing With The Nolands
- Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Soup from Foxes Love Lemons
- Beef Stew from The Foodie Army Wife
- Pot Roast and Portabello Stew from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Slow Cooker Black Bean and Polenta Stew from Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Turkey Stew from Magnolia Days
- San Antonio Chunky Chicken Stew from The Weekend Gourmet
- Pumpkin, Chickpea & Lentil Stew from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Slow Cooker Chickpeas from Shockingly Delicious
- Football Sunday Teriyaki Pulled Pork from Family Foodie
- Slow Cooker Apricot Jalapeno Pork Chops from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Vegan Slow Cooker Hoppin’ John from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Slow Cooker Coffee Glazed Brisket from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chipotle Honey BBQ Ribs from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Crockpot Country Style Pork Ribs from Cooking On The Ranch
- Slow Cooker Jerk Pork from Curious Cuisiniere
- Slow Cooker Beef Daube Provencal from Momma’s Meals
- Crock Pot Chicken Cacciatore from The Dinner-Mom
- Chicken and Broccoli from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Tacos de Lengua from The Texan New Yorker
- Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken & Black Beans for Tacos from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Chinese Chicken from The Ninja Baker
- Slow Cooker Beef Brisket French Dip Sandwiches from Neighborfood
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.