This Sausage, Pepper and Bean Soup is hearty and comforting. Perfect on a chilly night.
It’s Soup Weather!
Can we all just agree it’s been a horrible winter? When the local forecasters start using phrases like Siberian Express, you know it’s going to be bitterly cold. Last year it was the Polar Vortex. No matter how you want to brand this glut of sub-zero days, it’s definitely soup weather. I tend to prefer broth based soups over the cream laden variety, and I love adding Italian sausage for a spicy kick. From there, I tossed in lots of veggies, but focused on bell peppers plus some cannellini beans to make it more hearty for the hubby. Simple and comforting, all we needed was some crusty bread to complete our meal. Make sure to scroll down to check out all the marvelous soup recipes shared by my Progressive Eats friends. They will both warm your bones and please your palate.
February’s Progressive Eats
Welcome to Progressive Eats, our virtual version of a Progressive Dinner Party. This month’s theme is Soup’s On! and is hosted by Lauren Keating who blogs at Healthy. Delicious. Need some warming up? We can help!
If you’re unfamiliar with the concept, a progressive dinner involves going from house to house, enjoying a different course at each location. With Progressive Eats, a theme is chosen each month, members share recipes suitable for a delicious meal or party, and you can hop from blog to blog to check them out.
We have a core group of 12 bloggers, but we will always need substitutes and if there is enough interest would consider additional groups. To see our upcoming themes and how you can participate, please check out the schedule at Creative Culinary or contact Barb for more information.
Sausage, Pepper and Bean Soup from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Creole Black-Eyed Pea Soup from Never Enough Thyme
Old Fashioned Chicken Soup with Dumplings from Creative Culinary
Watercress and Buttermilk Vichyssoise from The Wimpy Vegetarian
Pressure Cooker Chorizo Chicken and Kale Soup from Pressure Cooking Today
Rhode Island Clam Chowder from girlichef
Salads and Breads
Quinoa Beet Kale Apple Walnut Goat Cheese Salad from Jeanette’s Healthy Living
Gado Gado – Indonesian Vegetable Salad from Spice Roots
Buttermilk Herb Rolls from Stetted
Gluten-Free Corn Muffins with Jalapeno and Cheese from The Heritage Cook
Berry Soup Dessert Shooters from Miss in the Kitchen
- 2+ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow bell pepper, large dice
- 1 red bell pepper, large dice
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage links, sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans
- Heat olive oil in soup/stock pot. Saute bell pepper for a few minutes, till slightly soft, but still bright in color. Remove from pan and set aside. Saute sausage till lightly browned. Remove from pan and set aside. Add onions, garlic, carrots and celery to pan, adding more olive oil if needed. Cook till vegetables are tender. Add thyme and bay leaf and toss with vegetables and cook for a few minutes.
- Add beans and stock and simmer till hot. Return sausage and peppers to pot and bring to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve hot.