This Salmon Salad Niçoise is a scrumptious twist on the French classic. The Omega-3 fatty acids in the seafood make it a heart healthy dish that doesn’t taste like health food!
Typically made with canned tuna, I actually prefer my version with rare ahi tuna or grilled salmon. Niçoise translates to “prepared in Nice,” so you’d find this dish on the menu across the French Riviera. The integral components of any “Niçoise” dish are tomatoes, black olives, garlic and anchovies. Hard boiled eggs, potatoes, green beans are typical additions to this salad. Since I took liberties with my seafood, I also tweaked the ingredients, adding hearts of palm, red bell pepper and swapped out the Niçoise olives for Kalamata. Instead of adding anchovies to the salad, I utilized anchovy paste in the dressing as it offered that umami that most wouldn’t realize had a seafood origin. The results were extraordinary! Who wouldn’t want to dive into this vibrant salad???
The Sunday Supper crew is sharing heart healthy dishes this week. A well needed break after all the Valentine’s Day goodies. Has anyone not broken their New Year’s resolution to eat more healthy fare? Well, we’ll get you back on track. As I mentioned, salmon is full of good fats as are olives and olive oils. These good fats help boost your HDL (high density lipoproteins) or good cholesterol. Plenty of colorful vegetables provide vital vitamins and minerals, and both the eggs and salmon provide quality protein. Thanks to my friends, Ethel, of eating in instead and, Lori, of Foxes Love Lemons, for hosting this fantastic event. Check out all the divine recipes from my Sunday Supper friends:
Better for you breakfasts:
- Apple Pie Oatmeal by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Scones by Brunch with Joy
- Create-Your-Own Overnight Oatmeal by Rhubarb and Honey
- Orange, Mango, Lime & Ginger Smoothie by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Pear Bran Muffins by Magnolia Days
- Stovetop Fruit & Honey Granola by What Smells So Good?
Jump start your health with these appetizers and snacks:
- Almond Crusted Chicken Nuggets by Momma’s Meals
- Chipotle Black Bean Dip by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Lemon Aioli with Spring Vegetables by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Mala Baked Tofu Bites by Palatable Pastime
- Parmesan Pistachio Kale Chips by The Texan New Yorker
Soups that’ll win your heart:
- Asian Soba Noodle Broth Bowl by Hip Foodie Mom
- Kale, Spinach, and Bean Soup by Ruffles & Truffles
- Mushroom Quinoa Soup by Pies and Plots
- Quinoa Chickpea Soup with Roasted Garlic & Veggies by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Turkey and Black-Eyed Peas Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Veggies, Sides, & Salads your heart will thank you for:
- Collard Greens with Cumin and Paprika by Nik Snacks
- Salmon Caesar Salad by Casa de Crews
- Kale Roasted Beet Salad with Honey Balsamic Dressing by Noshing with the Nolands
- Lightened-Up Creamed Spinach au Gratin by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Roasted Teriyaki Green Beans and Mushrooms by NeighborFood
- Salmon Salad Niçoise by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Seasoned Spinach & Bok Choy by Nosh My Way
- Spinach Berry Salad by Country Girl in the Village
- Sweet & Smokey Cauliflower Salad by Take a Bite Out of Boca
- Winter Citrus Salad with Avocado-Basil Dressing by Foxes Love Lemons
Healthy is the center of attention in these main courses:
- Baked Eggplant Parmesan by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Celeriac Noodles with Mushroom Ragu by The Joyful Foodie
- Gluten Free Roasted Chicken and Kale by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Heart Healthy Salmon Bento by The Ninja Baker
- Lemony Grilled Chicken by Peaceful Cooking
- Moroccan Salmon Tagine by Curious Cuisiniere
- Olive Oil-Poached Salmon with Pickled Cherry Salsa by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Oven Baked Tilapia Tacos by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Piperies Yemistes me Pligouri – Bulgur Stuffed Peppers by Food Lust People Love
- Salmon with Mango Salsa by Cooking Chat
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Quinoa Bake by Food Done Light
- Vegetable and Ginger Congee by eating in instead
- Vegetarian Cuban-Style Black Beans & Rice by MealDiva
- White Bean, Corn, Tomato and Rice Skillet by Family Foodie
Staying healthy doesn’t mean giving up desserts!
- Baked Figs with Vanilla and Honey by Happy Baking Days
- Caramelized Pear Tart by PancakeWarriors
- Cherry-Blueberry Trifles by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
We heart wine.
- Wine Pairing Recommendations for Heart Healthy #SundaySupper by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
- 2 six-ounce salmon filets
- olive oil
- seasoning salt
- black pepper
- 2-4 cups of greens (I used arugula)
- ½ red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 cup haricots vert (thin green beans), blanched
- ¼ cup black olives
- 4 new potatoes, cooked and cooled, cut in half
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 4 hard boiled eggs, cut in half
- 2 spears hearts of palm, sliced
- ⅛ cup champagne vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon anchovy paste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Brush salmon with olive oil and season well with seasoning salt and pepper. Grill or broil, 10-15 minutes or till done to your taste. Let come to room temperature or chill.
- To prepare salad, place bed of greens on serving platter. Arrange all the rest of the salad ingredients in sections around perimeter of plate, leaving center open for the salmon.
- You may cover and chill at this point.
- Make dressing by whisking together vinegar, mustard, anchovy paste and pepper. Drizzle in olive oil, whisking constantly till dressing emulsifies.
- Before serving, drizzle salad with dressing.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.