Turn the classic cereal treat into Rice Krispie Candy Corn with some food coloring and a cake pan for the ultimate Halloween treat!
OK, you do not need to adjust your monitors. I just need a little food dye 101 intervention. The colors aren’t exactly spot on with these tri-colored candy corn inspired Rice Krispie Treats, but they are close enough, I hope, for recognition. Plus, these Rice Krispie Candy Corn are just as yummy as the classic version cereal bars. These festive gems made their way to Indiana University as part of a college care package for my youngest, Nick. Along with some brownie cookies studded with M&M’s, I think he and his roomies were set with sweets for a couple nights. We treated him and 4 of his friends to dinner at a steak house…and, man, can those boys can eat!
These Rice Krispie Treats are made in an 8-inch round cake pan. First a batch of yellow RKT is made and pressed into a a 1 1/2 inch ring around the perimeter of the pan. This is followed by a slightly smaller orange batch pressed in right next to the orange in another 1 1 /2 inch diameter ring, which leaves a 2 inch center round space for the smallest batch of uncolored RKT. Make sure your pan is well greased and the round will pop right out when cooled. I simply sliced the treats into 6 equal wedges, and voila! They look like candy corn.
This is my contribution to the Halloween Holiday Food Party…just look at all the amazing Halloween inspired recipes my friends have shared today! And thanks to the kind, patient and tech savvy Jen, of Jen’s Favorite Cookies, for hosting us and teaching me how to make the cool table below. I still have some spaces that I cannot remove, but am too chicken to mess with the html coding any more! Click on the photos to see all the spooky offerings:
Serves: 6-8 wedges
- 2¼ cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 2½ cups mini marshmallows
- 1½ tablespoons butter
- yellow food coloring
- 1⅜ cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1¾ cups mini marshmallows
- 1 tablespoon butter
- orange food coloring
- 1 cup Rice Krispie cereal
- 1¼ cup mini marshmallows
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Spray an 8 inch cake pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside. Have butter available to grease your hands and spatula as needed for pressing treats into pan.
- Form one ring at a time, starting with the yellow ring. Melt the marshmallows and butter for that ring in a microwave safe bowl. Gently melt by stopping and starting microwave at 15 second intervals. Stir to mix with greased spatula, then add food coloring till desired hue is reached. Stir in Rice Krispies.
- With greased hands and a greased spatula, pat yellow rice krispie treats around perimeter of pan to form about a 1½ inch ring.
- Repeat with orange ring using same procedure (except using orange food coloring) and form a second 1½ inch ring, leaving the middle open for the white center.
- Repeat with last batch of marshmallows and butter and press into the center of the pan.
- Let cool for at least 30 minutes, then flip out of pan onto cutting board. Cut into 8 wedges to resemble candy corn.