I have yet to meet a number of my best and dearest friends…Patti is one of those! We’ve bonded over our love of food, family and home. She had a lovely personal blog, Southern Home Style Living (now retired), which focused on her home and family life…and these red velvet brownies are one of the recipes she shared. Of course, she read the directions and added milk to her icing, and therefore could pipe lovely stars on each slice. I, on the other hand, made the icing without following the instructions (or the list of ingredients, obviously!), and ended up with a delicious paste (it seriously tasted wonderful). I smeared it on my brownies…and voila, my version. Patti shared these with her fellow teachers and they disappeared in a flash…as they did in my home.
Red Velvet Brownies with White Chocolate Frosting
Adapted from How Sweet It Is
- 1 stick (1/2cup) butter, at room temperature
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1¼ cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 1 stick ( ½ cup) butter, at room temperature
- 2½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 ounces white chocolate, melted
- ½ tablespoon milk (remember to add this!)
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line 8 x 8 pan with nonstick foil or regular foil. Grease regular foil with cooking spray if using.
- In a small bowl, mix cocoa powder, food coloring and 1 teaspoon of the vanilla to form a paste. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, then add second teaspoon of vanilla. With mixer on medium, beat in cocoa paste. Add flour and salt, and mix just until combined.
- Spread in pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool before frosting.
To make frosting:
- Cream butter with mixer till fluffy. Add vanilla. Slowly mix in powdered sugar, then white chocolate. Add enough milk to reach desired consistency. Ice cooled brownies or pipe a star of icing on individual brownies.
Yield: 16 brownies
Linked to Sweets for a Saturday~