Updating a Childhood Favorite
One Easter, my mom introduced us to Mile High Strawberry Pie, a dessert made with a couple boxes of frozen strawberries, Cool Whip and egg whites over a pecan crust. The whole thing was popped in the freezer and we couldn’t get enough of it. This Raspberry Mousse is an updated version of that holiday dessert from my childhood…I switched up the berries, used real whipping cream and pasteurized eggs. I’ve been cooking with Davidson’s Safest Choice eggs since they became available in my local market. Raw eggs add marvelous silkiness and stability to so many desserts, but in this day and age, using non-pasteurized eggs puts you at risk of food borne illnesses such as salmonella. It wasn’t this dessert, but most likely a toddler’s curiosity that resulted in my sister contracting salmonella. Mary was by my mom’s side while our Sunday breakfast was being prepared. Most likely, sampling some under-cooked bacon or eggs caused her gastric distress. Her symptoms are not exactly appropriate for a food blog, but they did trigger an urgent run to the doctor’s office. So salmonella was a term I knew at age 5…decades before became a commonly known illness.
Look for the red P in a circle that distinguishes Safest Choice from unpasteurized eggs.
I tamped a simple mixture of graham cracker crumbs, melted butter and brown sugar into my parfait glasses. The most difficult part of the recipe was pushing the raspberries through a sieve to remove the seeds. Next time, I think I will whiz them in the blender before straining. The beating of the egg whites and cream, melting of the gelatin and folding all the components together was a cinch. I can see serving these in shot glasses on a dessert buffet. I put a dollop of mascarpone on each plus a berry to garnish, but a bit of sweetened whipped cream would be just as fabulous!
Please scroll down to see all the terrific no-bake summer recipes featuring Safest Choice Eggs from my Sunday Supper friends.
- ¾ cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 10 ounce bag frozen raspberries, defrosted
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 egg whites (I recommend Safest Choice pasteurized eggs to avoid food borne illnesses)
- 1 envelope plain gelatin
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Mix first 3 ingredients together for crust layer. Divide between 4-6 parfait glasses.
- Push raspberries through a sieve to remove seeds. Add sugar to berry puree.
- Beat egg whites till frothy. Add to berries.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, combine gelatin with 1 tablespoon cold water, stir and let dissolve. Place bowl in microwave and heat for 10-30 seconds till gelatin liquifies (this took about 12 seconds in my microwave).
- Whip cream to stiff peaks in a large bowl. Pour in gelatin and mix to combine. Carefully fold raspberry mixture into cream. Divide raspberry mixture between parfait glasses. Chill for at least an hour before serving.
No-Bake Savory Recipes:
- Asparagus Egg Salad by Family Foodie
- Buffalo Aioli by Alida’s Kitchen
- Chicken Caesar Salad by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Deviled Egg Crostini by Hip Foodie Mom
- Grilled Pizza with Egg, Arugula, and Balsamic by Ruffles & Truffles
- Huevos Rancheros by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Korean Rolled Omelette (Gaeran Mari) by kimchi MOM
- Mom’s Potato Salad by Casa de Crews
- Pizza for Breakfast! Waffles by Foxes Love Lemons
- Shrimp Salad with Lemon Basil Dressing by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
No-Bake Sweet Recipes:
- Brownie Batter Truffles by Desserts Required
- Creamy Chocolate Blender Mousse by Shockingly Delicious
- Frozen Strawberry Lemonade Pie by Neighborfood
- “Funky Monkey” PB Ripple Chip Banana Ice Cream by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Lemon and Strawberry Parfaits by Magnolia Days
- No Bake Cheesecake by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Raspberry Lemon Meringue Waffles by Melanie Makes
- Raspberry Mousse by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Salted Caramel Pudding Cups by The Foodie Army Wife
- Strawberry Marshmallow S’mores by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
Safest Choice Eggs
We are so excited about Safest Choice™ Eggs, one of the amazing sponsors at this year’s Food & Wine Conference! Your no-bake recipe could win you a pass to the Food and Wine Conference, $500 gift card plus a year of free eggs. Check out the details by clicking here.
Please check out more about Safest Choice Eggs:
Store Locator (Indy friends: I find them at some of the larger Marsh stores)
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by the Davidson’s Safest Choice Eggs. All opinions are my own.