This Pear Streusel Coffee Cake is chock full of fruit and finished off with a crunchy pecan topping. Perfect while pears are ripe, sweet and juicy.
Today’s Sunday Supper theme is very timely: giving comfort. As Thanksgiving approaches, our family focuses on gratitude and helping those in need. In elementary school, my children attached a construction paper leaf to the tree in the cafeteria stating what they were thankful for. Nick most likely wrote “ham” on his leaf one year…one of his childhood obsessions. Tom was probably more politically correct and scrawled “God” or “family” on his oak or maple shaped cut out. His first grade teacher predicted he’d grow up to be a priest. Katie certainly mentioned puppies and kittens. My gratitude has always focused on my dear family, friends and the laughter that fills my day. But this time of year also brings the need to give comfort to others, those less fortunate due to illness, loss of work or even the side effects of aging including immobility and depression. Today, we’re partnering with Gallo Family Vineyards to encourage you to look to those in need and offer comfort. I have tons of admiration for companies that give back to the community and that’s what Gallo is doing with their Every Cork Counts campaign.
Every Cork Counts
Gallo has taken note of the numerous elderly folks who go to bed hungry in America, and has joined forces with Meals on Wheels to raise awareness along with funds to help with this deplorable situation. A couple years ago, when my dad was living two states away, he slowly stopped cooking for himself. He’d head out to breakfast at a chain restaurant , but besides some peanuts with the evening news, he wasn’t eating anything else of substance. My sisters and I would stock his freezer, but that seemed to be too much effort for him. We turned to Meals on Wheels to lend a hand…such a godsend. Gallo is asking us all to collect their corks and to send them their way (physically via US mail or virtually by submitting a photo). They will then donate ONE DOLLAR per cork to Meals on Wheels! Isn’t that amazing? I’m thrilled to offer my support and will be saving and clicking photos of my Gallo Family Vineyards’ corks.
On to the Winning Recipe
About 35 volunteers for our local Decorators’ Show House gathered at my house at the end of October. These were all hardworking ladies that truly know how to give back to the community. I served up this pear streusel coffee cake and there was nothing but crumbs left on the platter, and there were tons of recipe requests. Moist with an abundance of pears, each bite tantalized the taste buds with fruit and warm spices of cinnamon and ginger. This coffee cake would be terrific as a holiday gift or a gesture of kindness for a friend or someone in need. Since I hosted a morning event, I held back on serving wine, but this cake would make a mighty fine dessert as well. If offered after an evening meal, Gallo suggests several wine varietals that pair deliciously with sweets such as their Moscato, Pink Moscato or Red Moscato.
Today, though, I’m featuring two other outstanding wines, Gallo Family Vineyard’s Pinot Grigio and Cabernet Sauvignon. Pinot Grigio is what I tend to sip at a cocktail party. Gallo’s version is crisp with undertones of citrus, tart green apple and white peach. Dry and medium bodied it pairs well with fresh salads, rich seafood, grilled poultry as well as acidic foods such as lemon and tomatoes. Their Cab is also dry, but full bodied and pairs well with foods that are equally full flavored like roasted and grilled meats or game, strong cheeses and dark chocolate. You will discern subtle flavors of blackberry, black currant and a just a hint of oak. Make sure you check out Gallo’s Wine Pairing page to help you find the perfect wine for your holiday meals. It’s a marvelous resource that I use frequently.
- 2½ cups flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ¾ cup canola oil
- 1 slightly beaten egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups chopped ripe,peeled and cored pears
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350º. Grease 10-inch diameter springform pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugars, salt,cinnamon, ginger and oil. Set aside 1 cup of mixture for topping.
- Fold in the chopped pears to the remaining mixture. Stir in the egg, vanilla, buttermilk, baking soda and baking powder. Scrape batter into prepared pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the reserved crumbs and the chopped pecans. Sprinkle over top of coffee cake.
- Bake for one hour or till toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.Cool on rack then remove sides of springform pan to serve.
Recipes Offering Comfort from my Sunday Supper Friends:
Comforting Appetizers and Beverages:
- Acorn Squash Cheese Spread with Spinach and Artichokes by Ruffles & Truffles
- Pomegranate Mulled Wine by The Messy Baker
Comforting Entrees, Soups, and Stews:
- Beef and Mushroom Pot Pie by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Beef Goulash by Magnolia Days
- Beef Stew with Puff Pastry by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Cheesy French Onion Soup by Life Tastes Good
- Chicken and Corn Chowder by The Girl In the Little Red Kitchen
- Chicken Parmesan Panini by Casa de Crews
- Classic Swiss Fondue by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- French Onion Soup au Gratin Stuffed Meatloaf by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Johnny Marzetti by NeighborFood
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts Flatbread by Family Foodie
- White Wine Cream Sauce Poached Shrimp by A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen
Comforting Side Dishes:
- Brussels Sprouts with Bacon, Parmesan and Dates by Shockingly Delicious
- Stuffed Acorn Squash by Jelly Toast
Comforting Brunch, Desserts, and Sweets:
- Baked Pumpkin French Toast by Alida’s Kitchen
- Cheesecake Bites with Red Wine Chocolate Sauce by Momma’s Meals
- Dark Chocolate Red Wine Cake with Red Wine Raspberry Sauce by Daily Dish Recipes
- Gooey Autumn Spice Brownie Cups by Desserts Required
- Pear Streusel Coffee Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
More Resources from Our Lovely Sponsor: Gallo Family Vineyards
Find more information on Gallo Family Vineyards wines here. There you will find descriptions of all their wines and food pairings…an excellent resource for all your wine needs.
A handy store locator is here.
Make sure to take advantage of this GFV $1 off digital coupon!
Please follow Gallo Family Vineyards on their social media sites:
Facebook – Twitter – Instagram – YouTube
And don’t forget to check out GFV’s Every Cork Counts campaign. Please save all your Gallo corks to help those in need.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.