Our Improv Challenge, hosted by Kristen of Frugal Antics of a Harried Housewife, has two hubby approved ingredients this month: bacon and eggs. He would have loved if I whipped up a bacon and egg sandwich or even something more gourmet like scrambled eggs in a prosciutto cup ( I DO want to make those one day). But, instead, I went straight to cookies. I’d given up cookie dough for Lent…and had a mad cravings for oatmeal cookie dough. So I finally bit the bullet (I few years behind the trend) and added some bacon to a dessert with these Oatmeal Cookies with White Chocolate, Apricots and Bacon.
Well, I did get my fill of cookie dough, but I did not love the addition of bacon in the unbaked state. Fingers were crossed that the baked version would please me more, so I stashed these in the freezer and forgot about them for a week or so. Then one night, when a mad desire for something sweet came about after dinner, I pulled one out. Mmmmmm…who knew I was finally a fan of bacon in cookies? I have to admit, that I would have preferred the bacon pieces MUCH smaller…a very fine crumble. I enjoyed the touch of saltiness when I bit into these chewy cookies, but didn’t particularly enjoy the texture of the bacon bits. I’m not certain I’ll ever make cookies with bacon again, but I’ll certainly eat every one that’s in my freezer! And this oatmeal cookie base is definitely a keeper!
- 2 sticks butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups oatmeal (not quick oats)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup white chocolate chunks
- ½ cup chopped dried apricots
- ¼ cup chopped, crisp bacon (I'd recommend a very fine chop)
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line baking sheets with parchment. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugars till light and fluffy with mixer, about 5 minutes. Mix in eggs one at a time, then add vanilla. With wooden spoon (or paddle attachment of mixer), mix in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix in oatmeal, then chocolate, apricots and bacon.
- Scoop out rounded tablespoons dough, roll in hands if desired (dough will be sticky). Space a couple inches apart on baking sheets. Bake about 15 minutes or till golden.
- Yield: 3-4 dozen cookies, depending on size