A decadent, mini treat for fans of chocolate and coconut! These Mounds Brownie Cupcakes have built in portion control! You’ll need it!
Mounds Brownie Cupcakes
I remember when my love affair with Mounds bars began. I was in 7th grade and my junior high homeroom went on a weekend ski trip to Afton Alps on the Minnesota-Wisconsin border. Were there really Alps in the Midwest? And what were those teachers thinking? Pure craziness on both accounts. We were let loose all day teaching ourselves to ski, or fall, in my case, then goofing around in the ski lodge when we needed refueling. Having no one to tell me what I had to eat, my mid-day sustenance consisted of a Mounds bar…and I think I may have even had a second for an afternoon snack. I had found a new favorite candy bar. No wonder I still have a fond spot for recipes like these Mounds Brownie Cupcakes!
Welcome to Day #4 of Christmas Week, a multi-blogger event co-hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Jen from Juanita’s Cocina! Each day we will be celebrating the holidays with a different set of Christmas-themed treats, as well as a fabulous Christmas giveaway. We hope you enjoy this fabulous event. Tune in each day starting today, Monday, December 9th and ending Saturday, December 14th. Scroll down to the bottom of the post to see a list of all the marvelous goodies posted today…plus all the giveaway info.
A Coconut Surprise
I spied this Mounds brownie recipe on Desserts Required, a blog written by my friend, Betsy Cohen…and knew I would find an excuse to bake up a batch. I changed the method for mixing the brownie batter, but otherwise, the recipe is unchanged. The coconut filling is frozen for a few minutes so that it can be shaped and properly positioned in the middle of a traditional brownie batter. I always love a delicious surprise when biting into a chocolate treat…especially when it’s coconut! I took these to Colorado when I went to visit my sister and parents this past weekend. I knew I could come up with an excuse to bake these babies. They were a HUGE hit! If you’re a coconut love, you must make yourself a batch ASAP.
- 1 tablespoon butter, at room temperature
- ¼ cup sweetened condensed milk
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon vanilla
- 3½ ounces sweetened shredded coconut (a scant 1 cup)
- 2 sticks (1 cup), butter
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 1¼ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 eggs,
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1¼ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- To make filling, whisk together all filling ingredients except coconut till smooth. Add coconut and mix till blended. Line a baking sheet with foil. Scoop out approximately 2 teaspoons of filling and place on pan till you have 12 mounds. Adjust sizes so all the filling mounds are approximately the same size. Freeze while preparing the brownie batter.
- Preheat the oven to 350º. Line a 12 capacity muffin tin with paper liners or spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Microwave the butter and the two sugars in a heat safe bowl for about a minute, stir and microwave up to another 1½ minutes or till all the butter is melted and mixture is starting to bubble. Carefully remove bowl to work surface.
- Whisk in chocolate chips till melted. Whisk in eggs and vanilla. Stir in flour and salt just till combined. Remove filling from freezer and using your fingers, shape into round balls (diameter should be less than the size of the bottom of the muffin tin).
- Place about 2 tablespoons of brownie batter into the bottom of each muffin tin, then add the filling and follow with another scoop of batter.
- Bake 18-20 minutes. Let cool in pans before removing cupcakes to cooling rack.
Visit all the other Christmas Week Peeps for more Holiday Baking Goodness:
- Mini Sugar Cookie Houses aka Hot Chocolate Mug Perches by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Eggnog Cookie Truffles by The Weekend Gourmet
- Spiked Candy Cane Hot Chocolate by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks:
- Gingerbread Texas Sheet Cake with Lemon Frosting by Chocolate Moosey
- Swirl Cookies by Noshing With The Nolands
- Caramel Apples by My Catholic Kitchen
- Homemade Caramels by Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Puff Pastry Ravioli Mince Pies by Food Lust People Love
- Mounds Brownie Cupcakes by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Hot Chocolate Pull Apart Bread by The Dutch
- Sugared Grape and Phyllo Tart by See Aimee Cook
- Taffy Tan Fudge by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Double Chocolate Pecan Cookies by Cooking In Stilettos
- Cinnamon Raisin Oatmeal Bread by Liv Life
- White Chocolate Candy Cane Fudge by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Devil’s Food Cake Cookies by Try Anything Once Culinary
- Cinnamon Whiskey Balls by Home Cooking Memories
- Pumpkin Chiffon Pie by Jen’s Favorite Cookies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Cookie Dough Truffles by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
Today’s #ChristmasWeek giveaway comes courtesy of Swissmar. Le Cordon Bleu has been a worldwide leader in gastronomy and hospitality for over 100 years and are widely considered the guardian of French culinary technique. Swissmar now combines this culinary expertise with their own knowledge and brand recognition to introduce this fantastic new line.
The Le Cordon Bleu ceramic ovenware from Swissmar are all freezer safe, oven safe, dishwasher and microwave safe. The French-inspired Charmant Collection 5 qt. Rectangular Roaster has scalloped edges and is beautiful enough to go straight from oven to table! To enter to win a Swissmar Roaster, read the details and use the Rafflecopter below!
***This giveaway is for one Swissmar Charmant Collection 5 qt. Rectangular Roaster (winner’s choice of color: blue, yellow, red, or white)! This giveaway is open to Continental US residents only . When the contest concludes, the winner will be chosen by random draw. The winner will be notified through e-mail and they will have 3 days to respond or another winner will be chosen.***CLOSED***
a Rafflecopter giveaway
***Disclaimer: This giveaway is being provided by Swissmar. #ChristmasWeek bloggers have not received product or been compensated as a part of this giveaway.***