Mini Vanilla Flans
Our oldest pops by most Sunday nights to have dinner with the family. A month or so ago, he raved about a flan he had tasted at a nearby bistro. He may have been in college the last time I made one, so I added flan to the list of must make recipes. When Spanish Tapas came up as this week’s Sunday Supper theme, I had my excuse to whip up Spain’s version of crème caramel.
Sublime Vanilla Custard
It took me a few times to get this recipe just right. The first caramel I used was just plain sugar and water and got too hard for my liking, so I went back to a tried and true version with a touch of corn syrup. I know many folks despise the use of this product, but it does serve a purpose. The addition prevents the recrystallization of the sugar once the caramel cools. creme brulee recipe I also thought these custards could benefit by being baked in a water bath like my favorite creme brulee. Yes, perfection! The custard was tender and creamy. Releasing from the molds can be a bit daunting. I dipped the ramekins in a bit of hot water just to allow the caramel to soften, then ran a knife around the perimeter of the custards before inverting them onto a serving plate. I placed the plate on top of the ramekin, held the combo together then flipped them over. A little gentle shaking released the custard onto the plate and allowed the caramel to cascade over the surface. Heavenly.
Spanish Tapas Recipes
More fabulous recipes for your next tapas party!
Para Empezar, Las Tapas (Appetizers/tapas) –
- Apple, Chorizo, and Manchego Crostini by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Champiñones al Ajillo by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Chorizo and Sweet Potato Spanish Tortilla Bites by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Citrus & Fennel Marinated Olives by Go Epicurista
- Clams Casino Dip with Bacon by Girl Abroad
- Crab Enchilado Empanadas with Avocado Cream by Gourmet Everyday
- Deviled Eggs with Shrimp by Our Good Life
- Gambas al Ajillo (Garlic Shrimp) by Pook’s Pantry
- Garlicky Shrimp with Pancetta Olive Oil by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Gazpacho Cucumber Bites by A Mind Full Mom
- Gildas Picantes – Spicy Anchovy Olive Skewers by Food Lust People Love
- Herbed and Spiced Almonds by Get the Good Stuff!
- How to make Beef Sweet Sour Meatballs with Pineapple for #SundaySupper by Asian In America
- Manchego Cheese & Chorizo Bites with Saffron Aioli by Hardly A Goddess
- Margarita Ceviche by The Crumby Cupcake
- Pinchos Morunos (Spanish Pork Skewers) with Mojo Picon by Curious Cuisiniere
- Roasted Bell Pepper Goat Cheese Bites by She Loves Biscotti
- Roasted Eggplant and Piquillo Pepper Toasts by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Roasted Red Peppers and Anchovies with Bruschetta by The Hungry Goddess
- Seared Scallops with Shredded Manchego and a Bleu Cheese Crumble by The Freshman Cook
- Serrano Ham & Goat Cheese Croquettes by My World Simplified
- Serrano Ham Bites with Melon and Cheese by Palatable Pastime
- Shrimp Romesco Bites by Cooking On The Ranch
- Smoked Sardine Crostini by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Spanish Garlic Shrimp by Life Tastes Good
- Tomato Gazpacho With Fried Avocado Bites by Nik Snacks
- Tortilla de Camarones by The Healthy Fit Foodie
- Tortilla Española by Monica’s Table
- White Wine Marinated Steak with Blue Cheese by Caroline’s Cooking
- Zanahorias Aliñadas (Spanish Marinated Carrots) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
Postres (Desserts) –
- Buñuelos de Viento by Dessert Geek
- Chocolate Orange Macarons by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Chocolate Toasts with Apricot Jam by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Churro Bites with Chocolate Sauce by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Churro Cupcakes by Pies and Plots
- Mini Dulce de Leche Cheesecakes by The Redhead Baker
- Mini Vanilla Flans by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Bebidas (Drinks) –
- Tinto de Verano ~ A Sangria alternative by An Appealing Plan
Plus Alcachofas al Ajillo – Garlicky Artichokes – and Spanish Tapas Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 3 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk (1 can)
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla paste (may substitute vanilla extract or the seeds of 3 vanilla beans)
- Fresh sliced strawberries
- Preheat oven to 325º. Set 6 ramekins into a roaster or large baking pan and set aside.
- Make the caramel by combining sugar, water, and corn syrup in a heavy saucepan. Heat over low heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, without stirring, only swirling on occasion, till caramel turns amber, about 10 minutes. Watch carefully so the caramel does not burn. When amber, divide caramel between the ramekins to coat the bottoms.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs. Beat in condensed milk, evaporated milk and vanilla bean paste until smooth. Divide egg mixture between ramekins. Pour hot water into pan avoiding splashing any into ramekins. Water should come up about halfway up sides of ramekins.Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake in preheated oven about 40 minutes. Uncover and check to see if the custard is set by jiggling (middles can wiggle just a bit). If needed bake 10 more minutes uncovered. Let cool completely on wire rack then refrigerate a few hours or overnight.
- To serve, carefully invert on serving plates with edges when completely cool.I dipped the bottoms into a bowl of very hot water for a few seconds and also ran a knife around the perimeter to help release before flipping. Garnish with berries if desired.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.