I fell in love with prosciutto wrapped melon in Tuscany. These enticing Melon and Prosciutto Skewers with a drizzle of basil oil swept me back to Italy. Wouldn’t they be perfect for your Oscar party?
A Taste of Italy
When I was in my 20’s, my parents spent a couple summers in Cortona, Italy, in the hills of Tuscany. My mom was teaching a studies abroad course and I took my first trip across the Atlantic. I saw the sites of Rome, Florence, Venice and Spoleto, but most vivid were the memories of incredible dishes prepared for the faculty in that quaint walled town. Grilled trout, stuffed zucchini blossoms and my first taste of succulent Italian melon wrapped in paper thin and salty Prosciutto de Parma.
Prosciutto e Melone AKA Melon and Prosciutto Skewers
So when the Sunday Supper team chose the red carpet theme this week, I thought back to the spectacular starter I first tasted decades ago. I merged that delectable combination with my favorite Caprese salad ingredients and, voila, the perfect appetizer for any gathering.
More Red Carpet Party Recipes
The Sunday Supper crew is sharing all sorts of dishes that would be marvelous for your red carpet viewing party! Check out all the spectacular recipes below.
Nominees for Best Supporting Appetizers:
- Beef Sliders with Sautéed Mushrooms, Onions, Bleu Cheese and Bacon by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Black and White Olive Cheese Puffs by Peaceful Cooking
- Cheddar Olives by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Chicken Boursin by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Citrus Avocado Shrimp Cocktail by Seduction in the Kitchen
- French Onion Sliders by Momma’s Meals
- Herbed Butter and Cheese Popcorn by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Italian Guacamole with Pesto by Food Done Light
- Lobster Bruschetta by The Texan New Yorker
- Melon and Prosciutto Skewers by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mini Cheese Balls by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Moroccan Beef Kefta Briouat by Manu’s Menu
- Mushroom Pate by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Oysters Rockfeller by Noshing With The Nolands
- Pea Pesto Crostini by Ruffles & Truffes
- Prosciutto Wrapped Shrimp by Casa de Crews
- Raspberry Brie Bites by Love and Confections
- Roasted Red Pepper Pinwheels by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Smoked Trout Stuffed Baby New Potatoes by Food Lust People Love
- Spinach Bites by Shockingly Delicious
- Sweet Chili Chicken Skewers by Nosh My Way
Nominees for Best Course in a Leading Role:
- Broccoli Calzones by eating in instead
- Bow Ties and Tails Galore by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chicken Oscar by Palatable Pastime
- Indulgent Lobster-Champagne Risotto by The Weekend Gourmet
- Oscar Worthy Cantonese Lobster with Coconut-Ginger Rice by Confessions of a Culinary Diva
Nominees for Best Supporting Sips:
- Apple Ginger Martini by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Blood Orange Rosemary Spritzer by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Cherry Almond Sparklers by Magnolia Days
- Iced Espresso Martini by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Mixed Berry Martini by The Messy Baker
- Oscartini by Family Foodie
- Red Carpet Sparkler by Rhubarb and Honey
- Thank You Peary Much by Sew You Think You Can Cook
Nominees for Best Delectable Desserts:
- 7-Layer Bark by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Caramel-Almond Latte Ricotta Cookies by What Smells So Good?
- Champagne Truffles by Brunch with Joy
- Chocolate Covered Cherries by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Decadent Flourless Brownies by Recipe for Perfection
- Edible Oscars Envelopes by Sunday Supper Movement
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Crumble Peanut Butter Mousse Parfait Cups by Wallflour Girl
- Imitation Game Guinness Brownies by NinjaBaker.com
- Mini Strawberry Galette by Basic N Delicious
- Mini Strawberry & Chocolate Cheesecakes by Happy Baking Days
- No-Bake Nutella Cheesecake Shooters by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Popcorn Puppy Chow by Pies and Plots
- Sweet and Salty Popcorn Ball Bites by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Tuxedo Cake by The Redhead Baker
Nominees for Best Dressed Table:
- DIY Glitter Vases by Sunday Supper Movement
A huge honorary mention for Katie, of Ruffles and Truffles, for hosting our red carpet event this week!
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 small shallot
- 1 small or half a medium cantaloupe, cut into slices, then chunks
- Small fresh mozzarella balls
- Sliced prosciutto, cut in half lengthwise, and folded into ruffle
- Small cherry or grape tomatoes
- Pulse or puree olive oil, basil and shallot in food processor or blender till basil and shallot are finely chopped.
- Alternate one piece of melon, one piece of prosciutto, one mozzarella ball, another prosciutto ruffle, a grape tomato, a third prosciutto ruffle and then one more piece of melon on each skewer.
- Place skewers on platter. Drizzle with basil oil and garnish with sprigs of basil before serving.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.