A grilled cheese sandwich is the epitome of comfort food. Buttered toast and gooey cheese. Nothing better in my book. I tend to keep my version simple, bread and whatever melty cheese happens to be in the fridge. But for this week’s Sunday Supper, we were challenged to create our own recipe…and I layered some of my favorite ingredients to bring you this Mediterranean Grilled Cheese featuring provolone and prosciutto!
I brought this beauty into the kitchen after photographing it. Bill asked if it was up for grabs. Sure was. As he got closer. he inquired, “What’s that funny stuff in it?” Yeah, as usual, I got the third degree regarding a new dish. He didn’t even balk at the Kalamata olives. On the other hand, I’m not certain they weren’t surreptitiously removed when I wasn’t looking! But nonetheless, the ol’ ball and chain gave these rave reviews. And so will you!
You may have noticed I served this sandwich with Gallo Family Vineyard’s Sauvignon Blanc. Gallo so kindly sent me a bottle of my favorite white and favorite red. Their Sauvignon Blanc is light-bodied with a medium sweetness with the “fruit flavors of honeydew melon, citrus and ripe apple, providing a light and crisp finish.” Food pairing recommendations include “tangy tomato sauce, pesto, seafood dishes or salads.” And might I add grilled cheese? If you’re looking for a wine to drink with meaty fish like salmon, roast chicken or mushrooms, the “ripe berry and subtle earthy flavors” of Gallo’s Pinot Noir works perfectly. It’s a medium bodied, dry red wine with “aromas of cherry and sweet fruit flavors” that “provides a smooth light finish.” I will be serving both of these to my book club next week.
Now you must check out all the creative grilled cheese recipes from my talented Sunday Supper friends:
- Apple, Prosciutto and Gruyere Grilled Cheese by Hip Foodie Mom
- Berry Chocolate Panini Sandwich with Wine Reduction Sauce by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Brie, Ham, and Blackberry Grilled Cheese by Healthy. Delicious.
- Cafe Zinfandel Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese by In The Kitchen With KP
- Caramelized Onion, Mushroom & Arugula Grilled Cheese by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- French Onion Grilled Cheese by Family Foodie
- Funky Monkey Grilled Cheese Sammie by The Messy Baker
- Greek Salad Grilled Cheese by Ruffles & Truffles
- Grilled Cheese & Bison Sandwiches by The Foodie Army Wife
- Grilled Goat Cheese w/ Tomatoes & Tarragon on Olive Bread by girlichef
- Grilled Mascarpone on Chocolate Cherry Bread with Blackberry Cabernet Compote by Desserts Required
- Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwich by Magnolia Days
- Honey Glazed Peach and Pork Tenderloin Grilled Cheese by Melanie Makes
- Kentucky Hot Brown Grilled Cheese by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mediterranean Grilled Cheese by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Monte Cristo Grilled Cheese by The Dinner-Mom
- Mushroom Duxelles & Asparagus Grilled Cheese by Foxes Love Lemons
- Parmesan Crusted Baked Grilled Cheese by Alida’s Kitchen
- Roast Beef Horseradish Arugula Grilled Cheese by Shockingly Delicious
- Roasted Red Pepper, Feta, and Olive Grilled Cheese by Neighborfood
- Butter, at room temperature for easier spreading
- 2 slices bread of choice (I used multigrain)
- 2-3 teaspoons pesto
- ½ roasted and peeled red or yellow bell pepper (jarred or roasted and peeled at home)
- 3-4 Kalamata olives, sliced
- 1-2 slices Prosciutto
- 1 slice provolone cheese
- Butter one side of each slice of bread. Spread a teaspoon or so of pesto on the other side. With butter side down, layer one slice with the bell pepper, olives, prosciutto and the sliced cheese. Spread pesto on unbuttered side of remaining slice and place it pesto side down onto sandwich. Heat grill pan or frying pan and place sandwich butter side down. Cook till bread is brown and toasted, then carefully flip and repeat. Turn temperature of burner down if bread is browning too quickly (before cheese is melted).
Find more information on Gallo Family Vineyards wines here. There you will find descriptions of all their wines and food pairings…an excellent resource for all your wine needs.
A handy store locator is here.
And please follow Gallo Family Vineyards on their social media sites:
Facebook – Twitter – Instagram – YouTube
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here—>Sunday Supper Movement.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.