I’ve wanted to try Jalapeno Poppers for years! But you know the situation. I have the hubby who only uses a microscopic amount of salsa on his chips and shies away from any dish with major heat. I had to tread cautiously. So when my turn to host book club came around again, I knew I had my chance.
Removing the seeds an ribs decrease the heat by a lot. No need to worry about fiery tongue after your first bite. These received rave reviews from my girlfriends. I’ve seen versions with shredded cheese mixed into the cream cheese. Next time I will incorporate some cheddar or Monterrey Jack. Gooey cheese can never be wrong! If you’re so inclined add between a half cup and one cup of shredded cheese to the filling. This was the last recipe from my book club menu in April. All the dishes I served can be seen here.
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- Pinch of salt
- 6 jalapenos, cut in half lengthwise and seeded (use disposable gloves to do this)
- 12 slices of bacon, uncooked
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Mix together cream cheese and spices in small bowl. Spoon or pipe mixture into each jalapeno half, smooth with offset spatula. Wrap each in bacon, and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 40-45 minutes or till bacon looks well cooked.
I’m starting a new series of Skinny Tips. How I keep slim is one of my most frequent inquiries. I’ll feature tips on some of my upcoming blog posts.
Tip #10: Don’t let yourself get over-hungry. I eat every 3-4 hours, to avoid that “I’m starving” feeling. I tend to over eat when I deprive myself.