This homemade Italian Hot Chocolate will rival any you’ve tasted from Angelina’s Parisian version to those lack-luster packet mixes!
It’s Hot Chocolate Weather!
It was a sad day in our house. There were NO homemade desserts and Bill was scrounging in the pantry for some Mega-Stuf Oreos. I had been wanting to share this Cioccolata Calda, or Italian Hot Chocolate, for the past couple months. It was finally cold enough to feel right. When I offered this up for dessert, there were no objections.
My family got their first taste of European hot chocolate while in Paris. We didn’t try the world renowned version from Angelina’s, but instead followed my friend, and fellow blogger, Jill of Mad About Macarons, to an exquisite pastry shop and restaurant nestled in a narrow lane off of the Boulevard Saint-Germain. It was at Une Diamanche à Paris where my family gorged on sweets and ordered hot chocolate to wash those down. It was definitely a chocolate overload for my generally bottomless pit sons! But I don’t think there were any regrets.
Homemade Hot Chocolate
I’ve been known to use those hot chocolate packets or mix a generous scoop of Nestles’ Quik into some hot milk for a treat after sledding or snow blowing. If you want to up the ante, serve this decadent Italian Hot Chocolate. Topped with marshmallows or whipped cream, it’s even suitable for dessert!
Serves: 8 servings
- 1¾ cups half and half
- 1½ teaspoons arrowroot (I found at Whole Foods and Fresh Market)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- Whipped cream or mini marshmallows, to garnish, optional
- Mix ¼ cup of the half and half with the arrowroot in small cup till well blended and smooth. Set aside.
- Put the remaining half and half and sugar in a saucepan over medium-low heat. When bubbles begin forming around the edges of the pan, add the arrowroot mixture and whisk until blended and slightly thickened. Remove from heat and add the chopped chocolate and vanilla and continue to whisk until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Serve in demitasse cups with whipped cream or mini marshmallows.