This Hearts of Palm, Artichoke, Avocado and Butter Lettuce Salad is not light on flavor, but would be the perfect dish to “Lighten Up Your Holiday Table,” our Sunday Supper theme.
Have You Tried Hearts of Palm?
When my sister was in town, she raved about the Vaca Frita she had made earlier in the month. Whenever I get together with my sisters, we are bound to cook. We decided that Cuban beef would be our dinner…and searched for a salad to complement it. Maddy spotted some hearts of palm in my pantry so we knew those had to be part of the deal. We added some diced red onion and poblanos to this hearts of palm, artichoke, avocado and butter lettuce salad, then drizzled it with a simple champagne vinegar and olive oil dressing.
Lighter Recipes for Thanksgiving
If your Thanksgiving table is anything like ours, it’s filled with carbs. Mashed potatoes, stuffing, fruit salad covered in whipped cream and rolls are a given. We eat it all and fall into a post meal coma. Then comes the pies and we do it all again. SO, the Sunday Supper crew figured we could share some lightened up dishes for our holiday table for those who want to make it to 8 PM without lapsing into a deep slumber. This salad would be a marvelous option…of course, we’d still make all the regulars, but I’d save a spot on my plate for a big serving of butter lettuce with all the toppings and tantalizing dressing. And there would be no guilt when I went back for seconds.
Serves: 4 servings
- 1 (14-ounce) can small artichoke hearts in water, drained
- 1 (14-ounce) can hearts of palm, cut into medium chunks, drained
- ½ English cucumber, thinly sliced
- ½ small red onion, finely chopped
- ½ poblano pepper, seeded, ribbed, and finely chopped
- 1 head butter lettuce, rinsed, dried and chopped
- 1-2 avocados, cut in large chunks
- 3 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the artichoke hearts, hearts of palm, cucumber, onion, poblano, and lettuce. Add the avocado. Whisk together vinegar and olive oil. Add a good pinch of salt and pepper to the dressing and drizzle over salad. Carefully mix, taking care not to break up the avocados. Add more salt and pepper to taste if needed.
More Lightened Up recipes from my Sunday Supper friends:
- Lightened Up Eggnog by The Redhead Baker
Appetizer or starter
- Gruyere Cheese Puffs by Sustainable Dad
- Lighten-up Sausage Rolls by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Spaghetti Squash, Pears and Kale with Shrimp by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Lightened Up Cornbread Stuffing by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Spicy Eggplant Dip by Cooking Chat
- Carciofi alla Trapanese by Manu’s Menu
- Fresh Salmon Carpaccio by Food Lust People Love
- Holiday Beef Tenderloin with Sweet Potatoes, Tomatoes and Corn by Family Foodie
- Mini Mushroom Shepherd’s Pies by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Grandma’s Mac n’ Cheese by What Smells So Good?
- Lean Mean Cheeseburger Soup by The Foodie Army Wife
- Roasted Butternut Squash & Chicken Sausage Soup by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Lightened-Up Fettuccine Alfredo by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts by Brunch with Joy
- Butternut Squash Orzo Pasta by Life Tastes Good
- Quick and Easy Sweet Potato by The Educators’ Spin On It
- Lentil & Mushroom Stuffing by Foxes Love Lemons
- Almond-Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Broccoli by The Texan New Yorker
- Tangy, Spiced Red Cabbage by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Honey Ginger Glazed Carrots by Ruffles & Truffles
- Shrimp Salad with White Wine Vinaigrette by eating in instead
- Cranberry Orange Glazed Green Beans by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Roasted Garlic Cauliflower Mash by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Green Beans with Rosemary Garlic Butter by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mediterranean Lentil Stuffed Delicata Squash by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Leaner Green Beans by Noshing With The Nolands
- Spiced Tri-Colored Carrot Salad by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Horiatki Salata by Peaceful Cooking
- Healthier Potluck Broccoli-Cauliflower Salad by The Weekend Gourmet
- Farro Stuffing with Cranberries and Walnuts by The Dinner-Mom
- Roasted Parsnip and Apple Soup by Curious Cuisiniere
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Dip by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Sweet Apple Bites by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Individual Cheesecakes by Nosh My Way
- Light and Luscious Chocolate Cheesecake by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Pumpkin Pie Pudding by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Healthy Brownie Recipe | Applesauce Brownies by The Perfect Brownie
- Peanut Butter Coconut Mini Bars by Basic N Delicious
- The Blondie Recipe by Wallflour Girl
- Cinnamon Roll Granola Bars by Pies and Plots
- Skinny Ninja Cheesecake by NinjaBaker.com
- Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Pumpkin Blondie by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here—>Sunday Supper Movement.