I was lucky enough to spend 3 days in Miami with some of my best blogger buddies. The food highlight of the trip was eating brunch with my dear Sunday Supper friends, Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic, Aly of Cooking in Stilettos, and Shaina of Take a Bite out of Boca. The ever informed Aly lead us to Michael’s Genuine Food and Drink and we literally swooned over every bite. Shaina and I split a Greek Farro Salad that I immediately wanted to recreate. What better platform than at a picnic organized by my Sunday Supper friends? I took the letter “G” for Greek Farro Salad.
If you can boil, chop and whisk, you can make this salad. I cooked the farro in chicken broth, but salted water is perfect, too. Lots of chopped veggies are added: tomatoes (a seeded, beefy garden tomato would be ideal), cucumbers, onion and black olives…along with some crumbled feta cheese. The vinaigrette had a Greek feel with red wine vinegar and lemon juice whisked with olive oil. Some minced fresh oregano provided some additional Mediterranean flair.
Today we are celebrating International Picnic Day by bringing you a basket packed with goodies from A to Z, in the style of the picnic game! Drop by the Sunday Supper Movement to see the whole picnic spread out on our virtual blanket.
The Picnic Game
I’m going on a picnic and I’m bringing…
Asian Chicken Salad from Try Anything Once Culinary
Beautiful Beet Salad from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
Chicken Muffuletta from Marlene Baird
Double Chocolate Chip Cookie Cups from The Dinner-Mom
Elote from Peaceful Cooking
Fennel Slaw from FoodieTots
Greek Farro Salad
- 1 cup farro, cooked according to package instructions (I cooked in chicken broth) and drained well and cooled slightly
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 English cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- ¼ cup thinly sliced, then chopped red onion
- ¼ cup Kalamata olives, halved
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ¼-1/2 cup crumbled French feta
- In a serving bowl, toss together cooked farro with olive oil. Add tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, onion and olives.
- Whisk together vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, oregano, salt and pepper. Add to salad and toss. Add feta and gently toss. Allow salad to sit at room temperature for about a half hour to let flavors meld. Adjust seasonings as needed.
Next up is the letter H and Honey Porter Glazed Chicken and Vegetable Skewers from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks. The rest of the list can be seen on the Sunday Supper Movement page. Let’s ALL celebrate International Picnic Day!
I’m starting a new series of Skinny Tips. How I keep slim is one of my most frequent inquiries. I’ll feature tips on some of my upcoming blog posts.
Tip #16: When dining out, a salad drenched in creamy dressing may not be your best choice. Look for a salad with a vinaigrette and watch out for high fat add ins such a deli meats and cheeses. A better choice is often a grilled protein like salmon or chicken with a side of grilled vegetables.