My family looks forward to the Grasshopper Pie I made every 4th of July. So for this year’s St. Patrick’s Day, I tried my hand at this minty, dreamy Grasshopper Mousse.
Tomorrow is St. Paddy’s Day and the Sunday Supper team is sharing all things green in honor of this holiday. My 4 foot 8-inch Irish great-grandmother after whom I was named, was a marvel in the kitchen, and famous for her homemade spicy pickles, roast duck, walnut bread and even her New England boiled dinners. Pretty exotic for North Dakota, eh? One of my mom’s favorite memory of her cherished grandmother was practicing to knead bread on her fleshy arms. I DO come from a family of foodies! So today, I dedicate this Grasshopper Mousse to “Dama.” I’m certain her spirit is always with me in the kitchen.
A Mint Dessert
The grasshopper cocktail originated in the French Quarter of New Orleans in the 1950’s and was equal parts creme de menthe, creme de cacao and cream. My family (well, except for the mint eschewing husband) adores my grasshopper pie, so a mousse version of the beloved grasshopper seemed apropos for the holiday. To make this dessert even more sublime, white chocolate was thrown into the mix. My mint fans swooned over this grasshopper mousse…I’m sure you will, too.
- 8 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons creme de menthe liqueur
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten
- Green food coloring, optional
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt white chocolate with ¼ cup of the heavy cream, stopping and stirring at 30-second intervals till smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Whip remaining ¾ cup heavy cream to soft peaks. Fold a large spoonful of whipped cream into cooled chocolate.
- Gently in creme de menthe, egg white and a few drops of green food coloring, if using.
- Pipe or spoon into serving dishes of your choice. Chill an hour or more before serving. Garnish with mint leaves and/or raspberries, if desired.
Total time does not include chilling time.
Note: There is one raw egg white in this recipe. If you are leery of eating raw eggs, as you should be due to the risk of a contracting a foodborne illness, please use a pasteurized egg, now available at many supermarkets.
Here are all the green delights from my Sunday Supper friends:
Green Light Appetizers and Sides
- Espinacas con Crema (Creamed Spinach) from La Cocina de Leslie
- Steakhouse Style Creamed Spinach from It’s Yummi!
- Oven-Fried Green Beans from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Irish Champ from girlichef
- Fresh Herb Tabouleh from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Moroccan Greens from Cooking On The Ranch
- Broccoli and Cheese Soup from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Polenta Crust Creamed Spinach Tart from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Green Rice from Basic N Delicious
- Broccoli and Blue Cheese Tarts from Mess Makes Food
- Avocado Fries from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Spinach Cashew Pakoras with Tangy Date Sauce from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Garlicky Italian Green Beans and Potatoes from Webicurean
Getting Greens Through Salads
- Pixie Dust Salad with Avocados, Pixie Tangerines and Radishes from Shockingly Delicious
- Roasted Broccoli Spinach Salad from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Apple, Spinach and Zucchini Salad from Hip Foodie Mom
- Brussels Sprouts Slaw from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Asparagus-Fennel-Pea Shoot Salad from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Cilantro Lime Ranch Dressing from The Foodie Army Wife
- Creamy Chicken Pesto Salad from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Entreés That Will Leave You Green With Envy
- Eggs and Greens Pizza from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Creamy Green Pizza from The Foodie Patootie
- Shamrock Spinach Crepes from Curious Cuisiniere
- Healthy Green Pasta from Momma’s Meals
- Swiss Chard & Sausage Pasta Bake from Delaware Girl Eats
- Smothered Cabbage with Pork from Food Lust People Love
- Spinach Fettuccine with Bacon Alfredo from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Roasted Asparagus Eggs Benedict With Cajun Hollandaise from Having Fun Saving
- Indulgent Pesto Risotto from The Weekend Gourmet
- Twice Baked Turkey Pie with Cabbage from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Slow-Cooker Irish Stout Chicken Stew from FoodieTots
- Chicken and Asparagus Flatbread Pizza from Family Foodie
Desserts and Beverages That Will Make Others Turn Green
- Lemon Kiwi Meringue Pie from Desserts Required
- Mint Cookies and Stout Shake from Melanie Makes
- Verde Sangria from Country Girl in the Village
- Baileys Mint Ice Cream & Chocolate Stout Float from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Shamrock Cookies from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Green Tea Latte from Manu’s Menu
- Grasshopper Mousse from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Amazing Grass Brownies from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Leprechaun Ice Cream from Cookistry
- White Chocolate Cupcakes with Pistachio Pudding Frosting from Cookin’ Mimi
- Collard Greens, Mushroom, and Cheddar Bread Pudding from The Texan New Yorker
- Coconut Avocado Ice Cream from URBAN BAKES
- Lime Meltaways from Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Mint Cake from NinjaBaking.com
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here—>Sunday Supper Movement.