As the hubby finished off the last gooey bar, he started worrying about his next dessert. That’s the way we roll at our house. He requested brownies so I tweaked an old recipe for Fudgy Cocoa Brownies to make them even more decadent.
Fudgy Cocoa Brownies
The last time I baked these brownies was for a care package I mailed to my college freshman. He’s now a first year medical student, so figured they deserved another go round, don’t ya think? I have scads of brownie recipes on the blog as they nearly always get a rave review from the chocolate crazy family. The original recipe was baked in a 9 x 13-inch pan and were rather thin. This time, I spread the batter into a 9 x 9 pan and was thrilled with their height. To compensate for this change, I decreased the oven temperature by 25º and increased the baking time. Perfection. And to make these ultra rich, I added a bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips.
Perfect for Chocoholics!
Rich and fudgy, with a double dose of chocolate, the hubby was delighted with this batch. Too chocolaty for the picky daughter (now why can’t these persnickety family members be on the same page every once in a while!), she’d prefer her brownies sans chocolate chips. That’s always an option. As is adding a little espresso powder to the water for a mocha twist. If you need to bake a treat for a chocoholic in your life, I recommend these fudgy cocoa brownies.
- 1⅔ cups sugar
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks) butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⅓ cups flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325º. Grease 9 x 9-inch pan (or line with non-stick foil). Set aside.
- Combine sugar, butter, water in large bowl. Add eggs and vanilla and mix till combined. Stir in flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Stir in chocolate chips. Spread into prepared pan.
- Bake 26-30 minutes or till toothpick inserted in center comes out a bit sticky, but not covered with batter.