A Summer Family Tradition
This Fudge Topped Chocolate Ice Cream Pie has made an appearance on our summer menu for years. My first few pies were sans a fudge topping, but once my family tasted the upgraded version, there was no looking back. I don’t usually garnish, but for the kick off of Ice Cream Week, I needed a glamorized version. A few dollops of whipped cream and some halved Oreos can turn a simple dessert into a company worthy grand finale.
Welcome to Ice Cream Week 2014! This year the event is hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Susan of The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen. We have teamed up with 25 amazing bloggers to bring you ice cream treats all week long. I hope you have as much fun as we did. Break out those stretchy pants and celebrate Ice Cream Week with us.
The Perfect Summer Dessert
This crust is formed by patting a mixture of cookie crumbs, melted butter and a couple spoonfuls of sugar into a greased pie plate. No baking necessary; it’s just popped in the freezer while you let the ice cream soften on the counter. I’ve mixed some booze into the premium chocolate chip ice cream…not enough to make the younger sect cringe, but an ideal amount for flavor enhancement. You may have heard that a bit of coffee helps intensify the chocolate in a dessert, so I always use Kahlua in this recipe. The hubby does not like coffee or anything mocha, but he’s never complained about a slosh of coffee liqueur. Any addition of alcohol will lower the freezing point, keeping the ice cream from becoming rock hard. So having both Kahlua and brandy in small amounts makes for an easy to slice pie. Use a jar of the best fudge sauce you can find to cover the ice cream layer. I’ve utilized homemade before, but this is summer, so give yourself a break! A hot, dry knife will help you cut through the topping.
Serves: 6-8 servings
- 1 9-ounce package of chocolate wafer cookies (or 22 chocolate sandwich cookies), processed or crushed into fine crumbs
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar (omit if using sandwich cookies)
- 1-quart premium chocolate-chocolate chip ice cream (or other favorite flavor)
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 2 tablespoons Kahlua or other coffee liqueur
- 1 jar fudge sauce (mine was 12.25 ounces)
- Sweetened whipped cream, halved chocolate sandwich cookies to garnish
- Mix cookie crumbs, melted butter and sugar (if using) in a medium bowl. Pat into a greased, 9-inch pie plate. Freeze.
- Set out ice cream to soften while crust freezes.
- Mix softened ice cream, brandy, and Kahlua. Dump into the center of frozen crust and use an offset spatula to smooth top. Freeze till solid, a few hours.
- Put large spoonfuls of fudge sauce over top of ice cream and quickly spread to cover. Ice cream will start melting so you may need to patch with more sauce if it breaks through the topping. Place in the freezer.
- Whip cream and pipe small mounds onto parchment lined baking sheet. Freeze and use to garnish the finished cake. Place a half cookie onto each whipped cream mound if desired.
Ice Cream Week Participants and Giveaway!
Make sure you swing by for a scoop from each of today’s Ice Cream Week Participants:
- Pink Lemonade Ice Cream Pie by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Caramel Ice Cream Pie by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Peppermint Fleck Ice Cream by Scoop Adventures
- Raspberry Lemonade Ice Cream Pie by The Redhead Baker
- Coffee Ice Cream by Cookistry
- Salted Caramel Ice Cream by Life Tastes Good
- Salted Caramel Peanut Butter Buster Bars by The Life and Loves on Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Cherry Cheesecake Ice Cream by Hezzi-d’s Books and Cooks
- “Fried” Ice Cream Pie by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Mint Chip Ice Cream by Crumb
- S’mores Ice Cream Pie by Love and Confections
- How to Make an Ice Cream Pie at Home by Farm Fresh Feasts
- Gluten Free Sandwich Cookie Ice Cream Pie by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Fudge Topped Chocolate Ice Cream Pie by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Salted Caramel Ice Cream Pie by The Spiffy Cookie
- Caramel Coffee Milkshake by Wishes and Dishes
- Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Pie by The Messy Baker
- Majarete (Dominican Corn Pudding) Ice Cream by Mind Over Batter
- Peanut Butter Crunch Ice Cream Cake by The Gunny Sack
- Dirty Girl Scout Ice Cream by Quarter Life (Crisis) Cuisine
- No Churn Low Carb Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream by Yours and Mine are Ours
Other Blogs participating later this week:
Special Guest for the Week is Lindsay Clendaniel of the blog, Scoop Adventures. We’re very excited to have her join us. Lindsay is the author of Scoop Adventures which is chock full of ice cream goodness.
Our sponsors for the event have provided us with some great prizes. A huge thanks to Cake Boss, Anolon, Microplane, WÜSTHOF, Page Street Publishing and Quarry Spoon. Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Susan of The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen have tossed in a bonus prize of a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker because they think everyone should own one!
One WUSTHOF CLASSIC 9-inch Double Serrated Bread Knife
One Copy of the Cookbook Making Artisan Gelato by Torrance Kopfer
One Copy of the Cookbook Everything Goes with Ice Cream by Koralee Teichroeb
One Copy of the Cookbook Vegan Scoop by Wheeler del Torro
One Copy of the Cookbook The Great Vegan Bean Book by Kathy Hester
One Copy of the Cookbook Eat More Dessert by Jenny Kellar
One Copy of the Cookbook The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz
One Copy of the Cookbook Scoop Adventures by Lindsay Clendaniel
a Rafflecopter giveaway (closed)