Uh, Oh! Where’s the Dessert?
It’s no secret my family loves French Silk pie. When the Sunday Supper crew decided to share “Tantalizing Trays,” I immediately thought of creating individual dessert servings utilizing our favorite pie filling. When I caught Bill scrounging in our pantry for Oreos, I knew it was time to treat him to these French Silk Shooters.
There’s Always Room for French Silk!
Pumpkin pie is always a given at Thanksgiving…then I poll the family as to what to make for our second dessert. Yes, a family of 5 needs two desserts for this holiday…whether or not we have company. That’s OK, isn’t it? I’d love apple or pecan, but invariably I’ll hear that we must have French silk pie. In fact, our whole Thanksgiving dinner is pretty much the same year after year. Not so ideal for a food blogger! But maybe this year, I’ll make minis. Now these would be a crowd pleaser…at least with my crowd! Though I’m pretty sure your crowd would be enamored with them, too.
Do you know how easy it is to make this filling? Only a few ingredients…make sure to look for pasteurized eggs since they will not be cooked in this recipe. Butter, sugar, chocolate and an egg…that’s it! Having a stand mixer is nice given the long beating times, but these can also be made with a hand mixer. They are heavenly! You know they’re good when you accidentally dribble a little tuna marinade…quite oily and full of salty, preserved lemons….onto the top of one of these beauties. And the hubby just scrapes a little of the cream off the top and dives in. Now that’s and endorsement!
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) butter, at room temperature
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large pasteurized egg--Davidson's Safest Choice brand preferred*
- ⅓ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ⅓ package Whip-It (optional)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar for about 2 minutes, till light and fluffy. Stop and scrape sides of bowl with spatula frequently during preparation. With mixer running, gradually add melted chocolate and the vanilla. Add egg, and beat at medium speed for 5 minutes. Divide chocolate mixture between shot glasses.
- Whip cream with a splash of vanilla, a couple tablespoons of powdered sugar and Whip-It, if desired. Top each shooter with whipped cream and raspberry or chocolate curls if desired. Chill in the refrigerator at least 4 hours.
More Tantalizing Trays from my Sunday Supper Friends:
- Antipasto Skewers by Simply Gourmet
- Bite-Sized Meatballs by MealDiva
- BLT Bites by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- BLT Canapes by Peaceful Cooking
- BLT Crostini with Basil Mayonnaise by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Blueberry Jam and Goat Cheese Crostini by Casa de Crews
- Brie and Tomato Bruschetta by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Cajun Deviled Eggs by Peanut Better and Peppers
- Charcuterie Board by Family Foodie
- Cheese-Filled Apple Rounds by eatingininstead
- Coquilles St. Jacques by Nosh My Way
- Crudite Platter with Copycat Hidden Valley Ranch Dip by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Crunchy Tuna Salad Boats by A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen
- Cucumber Sandwiches by Momma’s Meals
- Feta Zucchini Bites by Curious Cuisiniere
- Gluten Free Thai Soup Shooters by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Goat Cheese Stuffed Figs by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Heirloom Caprese Salad by Shockingly Delicious
- Jalapeño Mac ‘n Cheese Bites by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- The Modern Relish Tray by An Appealing Plan
- Mostarda di Frutta by Rhubarb and Honey
- Pimento Cheese Stuffed Peppers by Magnolia Days
- Ploughman’s Platter for a Party by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Puff Pastry Cheese Sticks by Basic N Delicious
- Southwestern Turkey Sliders by The Texan New Yorker
- Spinach and Mushroom Pizza Bites by The Dinner-Mom
- Tomato Basil Soup Shooters by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Zucchini and Summer Squash Crostini by Hip Foodie Mom
- Alice in Wonderland Sugar Cookies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Baked Lemon Glazed Mini Donuts by Killer Bunnies Inc.
- Chocolate Oreo Pocky Cupcakes, Cake, and Morello Cherry Buttercream by NinjaBaking
- French Silk Shooters by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- German Chocolate Brownie Bites by Wallflour Girl
- Mini Banana Nutella Cheesecake Parfaits (#glutenfree option) by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Raspberry Fools by The Foodie Army Wife
- Strawberry Shortcake Dessert Shooters by The Redhead Baker
- Vegan Caramel Truffles by What Smells So Good?
- White Chocolate Peanut Butter & Banana Bites by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Witchy Chocolate Mousse with Culinary Fairy Dust by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here—>Sunday Supper Movement.
Find Davidson’s Safest Choice pasteurized eggs in your area using this link to their Store Locator. And be sure to follow their facebook fan page for terrific recipe inspiration!